• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

To all the motorcycle riders out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you're recovering, hope the recovery continues to go well.

I've been down twice on the road, once there was gravel in a turn I was taking at speed, lowsided it my jacket and boots took the brunt of the damage, a little road rash thru my jeans but not that bad as I think my hard cases protected me a bit, another time a box truck made a left turn in front of me without even looking, was able to walk away from that one but my bike took 5k+ in repairs. I havent ridden much since I moved to georgia, too many really ****ty drivers out here, and even when I lived out west I mostly used it on long road trips and around town in college before I could have a car on campus. Definitely am an ATGATT guy when I get out now and leaning towards selling it because its just sitting so much and my sister who's a surgeon is always sharing horror stories of guys she has to try to put back together. Probably gonna get rid of it before the insurance/registration comes up again this summer and get a two seater convertible to wrench on.

Back in the early 1990's I had my motorcycle license but my only street legal bike was an "enduro" -- really a dirtbike, 250 cc, that happened to have turn signals and mirrors.

I came to a point where I needed to make a decision about whether I would get a real motorcycle made for the roads, and let my Yamaha DT-250 serve me only as a dirtbike that I would trailer to and from the woods.

I thought about this for a few weeks and decided that the idiots on the roads of Atlanta Georgia were too dangerous for me to mix with them on a regular basis, with me on two wheels, not in a steel cage.

So I kept my dirtbike a little while longer but I stopped riding it on public roads. It got carried to the woods in a trailer or the back of my pickup.

Since then I felt the call of the open air experience of motorcycle riding, and I finally gave into that urge in August of last year. I picked up a well-used Honda Shadow V-twin 1100.

But... I'm still nervous sharing the roads with all these stupid & distracted drivers. (Some of which I'm sure are not being distracted; they are just literally morons.)

I'm trying to do my part, riding carefully but not going so slow as to be a road hazard, thus inviting people to pass me improperly.

I leave plenty of distance between me and the vehicle in front of me, but not so much a distance that it's an open invitation for somebody else to duck in.

I wear high visability gear (red safety vest, red reflective striping on my helmet) but it's always a risk....

I haven't had a close call on the motorcycle yet, other than a couple incidents of road debris and dropped tools in the middle of the street, but every other day when I'm driving my car, there are close calls either involving me or happening in front of me.
DB80A4C8-605B-46AB-BF69-AFD4A4DD9FBD.jpeg

Damn, sorry to hear this I hope you heal up properly!

I carry extra uninsured insurance on my bikes since my accident in 06 while very minor in comparision. Her insurance wanst enough to cover the bills so it fell on mine as well. My Lawyer Friend back then called it "the Underinsured insurance"

I agree with everyone here riding anywhere near atl and your head has to be on a swivel and drivers just dont care if they cut you off no matter what your in.

I still ride but mostly for my enjoyment only out and around hard labor crek and the Bostwick area. It getting tougher to justify riding 2 wheels anymore.

Dang! Glad you are still here to share this! What type of bike were you on? How did the accident happen?

Head on a swivel always!
I was sitting at a light. It turned green and i proceeded through. A white van coming towards me tried to beat the traffic and ran the light. He went left. I went left to avoid him hitting the side and his bumper basically removed every thing in my lower leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom