• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Too good to be true Matthew Danitz Bowie

I’m not a blacksmith, but with a clunk that large missing.......I’d say something went wrong in the tempering.
Yes, grain structure in the break was coarse ... I had resharpened after the initial cutting on a poplar to give it a convex edge to help absorb any shock but any knife should be able to make it through a 3/4" green branch

Well dummy me thought I would take a chance on a guy and have Bowie made by a new young maker. Took a couple of months to arrive and while it was thin with a higher degree of distal taper than I wanted he assured me it would hold up.
Well, one day of cutting back some branches did it in. He initially offered a refund but, like a dummy, I asked him to make a replacement and even offered to pay for the supplies. After I sent the knife back he decided it was "misuse" and refused to do anything. I live, I learn... life goes on!
View attachment 1449196 View attachment 1449197 View attachment 1449198
MAN THAT REALLY SUCKS

get more out of a Pakistani blade than that
Indeed... that is why I was shocked that he changed his tune from "glad to stand behind my work" and I'll give you a full refund" to "Bowies are not designed to be choppers" and "I was not informed that it would go through an extreme chopping test"... not sure how green wood with no batoning, prying, stabbing is an "extreme chopping" test. If you can't make an 8.5" bladed bowie knife that can make it through a 3/4 green branch without breaking then you should not be making knives.

Back
Top Bottom