• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Too good to be true Matthew Danitz Bowie

Haha wow what steel and heat treat did he use?

There are too many new "Instagram" makers these days it's way too hard to know who is good and who to stay away from.

I've got a fixed blade ordered from Hammer Down Forge that I'm going on a year waiting for, it's in 3V so hopefully I'll get it.

Haha wow what steel and heat treat did he use?
Forged from 1095 supposedly... I get it if I was hacking cinder blocks or steel drum lids but any of my cheap kitchen knives would endure the green stuff I cut with it. For now, he has my money, and the knife, and I sent two sets of burled scales for him to use on the replacement he agreed to make.
I always want to believe that if a guy takes the time to learn a trade that he will stand behind his work. Guess I overestimated by the initial aspects of the process.

I am really sorry to see/read this and know it happened. Really ugly situation for sure. I hope it didn't sour you on buying custom knives. Unfortunately TV/internet/Utube have all contributed to the problem and now it seems anyone can "Claim to be" a professional knifemaker once they watch a few videos and buy the right tools. Basically the electronic age can make anyone's work look and sound good, but nothing equates to handling and using a well made custom blade before purchase (pig in a poke thing).
I invite you to attend any GA Custom Knifemakers' Guild meeting, Blade Show, Flint River Knife Club meeting, Hammer-in event, etc. and meet some of the fine makers that live here in GA. We have some of the best in the nation residing here.
Anyone of them can/will make you a quality blade and stand behind their work 100%. Best thing is you can meet and discuss particulars with most. Not sure whether you were looking for a handforged blade or a precision ground blade but either can be had right here in state.
If I can be of help in getting you connected with a maker here in state, please let me know. Again, sorry to hear this happened to you.
Carl Rex

you can cut down a tree with a $5 machete. get one of the 15buck walmart bowie's, it may not hold a razor edge, but you can abuse it..

I am really sorry to see/read this and know it happened. Really ugly situation for sure. I hope it didn't sour you on buying custom knives. Unfortunately TV/internet/Utube have all contributed to the problem and now it seems anyone can "Claim to be" a professional knifemaker once they watch a few videos and buy the right tools. Basically the electronic age can make anyone's work look and sound good, but nothing equates to handling and using a well made custom blade before purchase (pig in a poke thing).
I invite you to attend any GA Custom Knifemakers' Guild meeting, Blade Show, Flint River Knife Club meeting, Hammer-in event, etc. and meet some of the fine makers that live here in GA. We have some of the best in the nation residing here.
Anyone of them can/will make you a quality blade and stand behind their work 100%. Best thing is you can meet and discuss particulars with most. Not sure whether you were looking for a handforged blade or a precision ground blade but either can be had right here in state.
If I can be of help in getting you connected with a maker here in state, please let me know. Again, sorry to hear this happened to you.
Carl Rex
Thank you for the invite... not soured at all except on this guy... I have been going to Blade and into knives for about 25 years... used to make a few via stock removal, have been in and around the industry quite a bit and used to own way more customs than I should have.
My brother was with me when it happened and he was stunned. My immediate response was "No worries, any maker would know that was heat treat and Matthew will stand behind it." Well, I was just wrong about this guy and certainly don't blame makers in general. Already reached out to a maker friend of mine to start saving to have a replacement made that will handle green limbs and then some. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom