• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Travel with NFA weapons

ga_trucklvr

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
24   0
Reaction score
A friend of mine just moved to Alabama and will be setting up an outdoor range on his property. I am going to be going over to shoot (when the heat breaks some) and have a few NFA items I want to take with me. Does anyone know what is the current turnaround time on submitted 5320.20 forms. Also, is there another way to submit them besides mailing them via USPS?

Also, are any NFA weapons not allowed in AL? I know suppressors do not require a travel form but are they legal in AL? How about SSB, SBS, AOW and machine guns?

Thanks, in advance, for any help given.

In for information regarding: "I know suppressors do not require a travel form but are they legal in AL?"

Straight from ATF website NFA FAQ section:

Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?
Yes, unless the registered possessor is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms. This requirement does not apply to the lawful interstate transportation of silencers. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4); 27 CFR 478.28]

Source link:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/doe...e-machine-gun-short-barreled-shotgun-or-short

Straight from ATF website NFA FAQ section:

Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?
Yes, unless the registered possessor is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms. This requirement does not apply to the lawful interstate transportation of silencers. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4); 27 CFR 478.28]

Source link:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/doe...e-machine-gun-short-barreled-shotgun-or-short
Why's it considered export if it's within the same country?

"This requirement does not apply to the lawful interstate transportation of silencers" Let me ask to be doubly sure. If I went to TN for the weekend and wanted to take a suppressor with me I can at my own will and do not have to ask for any permission or submit any forms??

"This requirement does not apply to the lawful interstate transportation of silencers" Let me ask to be doubly sure. If I went to TN for the weekend and wanted to take a suppressor with me I can at my own will and do not have to ask for any permission or submit any forms??
If the suppressor is legal at your destination.... Correct. No forms or permission needed to travel with it.

Back
Top Bottom