• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Trees and property lines, what's reasonable?

The neighbor would need to notify by certified mail any concerns about dead trees. Otherwise each is responsible for their own damages.
Once notified, the land owner would be responsible for all of the damages.

As far as the limbs, I am not as certain.
I believe he can limb them up along the property line if desired.

Personally, I would offer to let him pay half for the removal and plant more desirable ornamental trees
Those trees are prone to disease and will have to be removed eventually.
Let him pay half while you can.

Ok, so I pretty much need to cut the limbs back to the property line and possibly do away with the sweet gum, got it. Glad I asked.

Thanks for the info on damage to property, these trees are way in the back and wouldn't hit anything.

Can you guys recommend any of those trees that people plant on property lines for privacy? Leyland cypress maybe? He's gonna cut down about 4 of his trees in the front that provide shade in the morning on my side, but the thing is, the waterline for my house comes in off the road right near the property line, we were both wondering if the Leyland cypress trees have deep roots, or what kind of trees/shrubs (that would reach around 15-20' full grown) might be safe to plant near that water line?

Thanks!

Ok, so I pretty much need to cut the limbs back to the property line and possibly do away with the sweet gum, got it. Glad I asked.

Thanks for the info on damage to property, these trees are way in the back and wouldn't hit anything.

Can you guys recommend any of those trees that people plant on property lines for privacy? Leyland cypress maybe? He's gonna cut down about 4 of his trees in the front that provide shade in the morning on my side, but the thing is, the waterline for my house comes in off the road right near the property line, we were both wondering if the Leyland cypress trees have deep roots, or what kind of trees/shrubs (that would reach around 15-20' full grown) might be safe to plant near that water line?

Thanks!
You are not REQUIRED to cut your limbs back, but if he's complained and it sounds like he's a good neighbor, you could do it in the name of courtesy. It's what good neighbors occasionally do. He could legally cut them himself. Leyland's are invasive and have fallen out of favor for widespread use but they do make a good screen. They will get HUGE however. There are countless evergreen options you could use if it's for privacy, many of which are easily trained. I personally hate maintenance but various hollies, myrtles, etc, can work.

Thanks for all the replies.

The guy's actually about as good of a neighbor that I could ask for, I just wasn't certain of the rules and I hate to cut down a big tree, but I need to think big picture and longevity as well. I just bought this place, so it would make sense to do any tree removal and replanting I want to do in the beginning, so it's really nice with age.

I have three good sized Bradford pears near the house and the property line that I'm gonna take down and he said he'd help me with any of it. He's renting a backhoe this winter to take down the trees in his front yard, he's glad to come over with that thing (or with chainsaws) and help me out.

I'll look into the privacy trees mentioned. What's the best way to learn more about trees so I can plant the right kind? I don't know much about them, should I just start googling them or get in touch with a landscaping company/someone that does it professionally?

If YOU trim your tree back from the property line once I suspect you'll be doing it every year from now on. BUT...if you tell your good neighbor that HE is welcome to trim them back to the property line if he wants, then the subject will likely never come up again. As for the sweetgums...great shade but otherwise useless. Cut 'em down unless you need the shade.

Thanks for all the replies.

The guy's actually about as good of a neighbor that I could ask for, I just wasn't certain of the rules and I hate to cut down a big tree, but I need to think big picture and longevity as well. I just bought this place, so it would make sense to do any tree removal and replanting I want to do in the beginning, so it's really nice with age.

I have three good sized Bradford pears near the house and the property line that I'm gonna take down and he said he'd help me with any of it. He's renting a backhoe this winter to take down the trees in his front yard, he's glad to come over with that thing (or with chainsaws) and help me out.

I'll look into the privacy trees mentioned. What's the best way to learn more about trees so I can plant the right kind? I don't know much about them, should I just start googling them or get in touch with a landscaping company/someone that does it professionally?
Good call on nuking the Bradfords. Yep, sounds like a good neighbor.
There are countless resources for online reference. This guy is local and tends to speak (type) in English. :) http://www.walterreeves.com/category/landscaping

Cryptomeria are better.

This on sale near you is the best privacy tree IMO.

They need water and light and tree fertilizer to grow fast.

Two rows staggered at 8’ o.c. (or one row at 6’ o c if you don’t have room for two rows) and you’ll have a nice green privacy wall in a few years if you buy the large ones and have water, sun, and fertilizer for them.

If you top them after a couple of years they will fill out better.

Back
Top Bottom