• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trees and property lines, what's reasonable?

What was wrong with the Bradford Pears? Or we're were you worried a storm would take them down since they were larger?
They are terrible trees in most every way. The are weak, will break limbs far too frequently (especially as they age), and they are invasive. But they do look nice for about a week when they are flowering, so there's that. :) They are cheap trees that builders are far too happy to plant because..... they are cheap trees.

Yea the Bradfords are too big and too close to the house. Plus I'll be getting plenty of sun and water where they are now, so replanting something better should work out.

I just walked the back and sides, this place is overrun with sweet gums.

GeauxLSU GeauxLSU will check out Walter Reeves

GOOD LUCK trying to get rid of the sweet gums, a lot like poison oak their roots will have small trees come up from them, great for furniture other than that they are useless, and very messy...

Thanks, I'm hoping the backhoe helps with that. What kind of furniture, any furniture? I've been wanting to try and make some in the future, how long do you have to let the wood sit after you take the tree down before it's ready to be made into furniture?

Green Giant Arborvitae is another great screen tree. I recommend them in place of Leyland Cypress and they have a similar columnar growth. Cryptomeria is a good one as well, with more of a Christmas tree shaped growth. PM me if you have questions on tree selection or advice planting if you are interested.

The law is in GA, anything hanging over on his side of the property line he can cut but you can still be liable.

I am having the reverse issue with my neighbor. $4000 damages so far. They refuse to do anything. My insurance is suring them.

Just cut the trees down or trim them back so they will not cause any issues. Not worth it.

What was wrong with the Bradford Pears? Or we're were you worried a storm would take them down since they were larger?
It’s not a matter of if,it’s when they will split.i planted 6 in my yard when I bought the house and I’m o-6 they all have split and been removed.

Sweetgum tree: spray a freshly cut stump with an undiluted 46% (or so) solutioin of gyphosate (commercial Roundup) within two hours- just the cut portion - not the bark. Otherwise, in nine months, guaranteed, that stump will sprout at least three more trees from the stump.

Already mentioned, but sweet gums sprout from seed, cut stumps, and root systems. Very hard to be rid of them.

Spray any sprouts less than 24" with glyphosate. The sooner the better. Glyphosate kills all that it touches, but is probably the best (and least expensive) way to try and get ahead of Sweetgums. These trees are very fast-growing, and spread. I consider them invasive, since they out-compete more desirable hardwoods.

How can you trim the branches of a fully grown large tree? That's not a D.I.Y. job. If a tree service does it, it's probably going to be a $1000 project. Do you want to bear that expense every couple years to keep your limbs from crossing over the property line?
I agree that if you like the neighbor and you want an affordable long-term solution, just take down the one or two trees that irritate him the most. THe others, trim them yourself every few years with a saw and a step ladder. Any branches that are too high to reach, to heck with them. Just make a reasonable effort, that's all.

Back
Top Bottom