• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Trespassers on Private Property

There is a bill working through the legislator that will help the landowner, is called the "PURPLE PAINT LAW" a TREE, POLE, CORNER OF A FENCE, sprayed with paint is notification to all "POSTED NO TRESPASSING" this purple paint law is now recognized in 13-18 states, will help stop this non-sense, the trespasser/people have to be given a warning, GA STATE LAW.

DNR, states the land owner DOES NOT HAVE TO HAVE PROPERTY POSTED.

We hope the "PURPLE PAINT LAW" gets passed, we are tired of spending $300.00 - $500.00 per year year posting property, to have some slime ball go around tearing the signs down. We now have remote cameras up pine trees about 30' to 50' up trees and caught several, adults and their well trained mis-fit kids, one who was 21 years of age is now serving some time because he already has several past arrest for damage and tearing down warning signs, dumping, destroying areas on the property. This individuals parents, came begging to drop charges as he was going off on a vacation, for a while. Told them , "NO" was tired of this type of behavior, from this individuals, younger siblings too. He offered $$$$, we responded "NO", he said we were heartless, told him "YOU ARE RIGHT" have had talks with you and your kids & 21 year old, they told me we could not "STOP" them and you their father also agreed with the brood.

Oh just in case you wonder if the trespassers have property "YES" just about 500 acres, however their statement was we don't want to run the game off...

We told him after all they had cost $$$ of mine "NOW THE TALKING WAS OVER". After this the word spread and things are more than normal. The other land owner now stops to talk and ask if we have seen others entering their property, and we responded "NO". So
now the land owners are working together to get things back to an orderly respect of each others property.

So posting the property, "PROPERTY GEORGIA LAW IS STUPID", IT IS TOTALLY STUPID TO HAVE TO WARN THESE PEOPLE THEY KNOW THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS TO BE ON PROPERTY OR NOT,people know what they own, and also know when they are stealing
game, property rights, and when they are on the land they don't own, lease, or have any type of rightful entry too.

Have thought about do to them what they do to others and they certainly would not like it either.

Tired of their, lame statements, we hunted that land for 30-40 years, before you and we do not plan to stop hunting it!!

LAST FAMOUS WORDS AS THEY ARE GETTING A FREE RIDE TO THE LOCAL JAIL... Some just have to be shown, this ain't your property, and this ain't 30-40 years ago, and you may have to change your thinking, and attitude.

Hoping, "PURPLE PAINT LAW", becomes law in GEORGIA, SOON...

I have not read the previous replies; so, I don't know if this has been covered or not:
  • Criminal trespass requires specific and individualized notice to a person that they can't be on the property. Signs are not particular and individualized notice.
Even if the cops had come while they were on your property, they could not have made a criminal trespass arrest simply due to their being on your property unless they had been previously told by you not to be there or they had failed to go upon being told to leave.

If they had done any damage or it could be proven they were there for an unlawful purpose, there are appropriate charges, but simply being on the property of another without express permission to be there is not illegal under GA law.

Disclosure of GCIC information is a major, major non no, punishable by 15 years in prison and a $50K fine; so, the cops aren't likely to run the tag and simply give you the information from it.

I'm pretty sure you cant draw a gun on folks like the cop suggested, even if they are trespassing. You can only answer lethal force, with lethal force. Unless they present a weapon, or you have reasonable belief that they have a weapon (guy says he is gonna shoot you, then reaches for something) you need to keep yours holstered.

I'm pretty sure you cant draw a gun on folks like the cop suggested, even if they are trespassing. You can only answer lethal force, with lethal force. Unless they present a weapon, or you have reasonable belief that they have a weapon (guy says he is gonna shoot you, then reaches for something) you need to keep yours holstered.

Unless of course you're old and slow like me!

Those Jehovah witness fella's don't come by anymore...... :becky:

I have not read the previous replies; so, I don't know if this has been covered or not:
  • Criminal trespass requires specific and individualized notice to a person that they can't be on the property. Signs are not particular and individualized notice.
Even if the cops had come while they were on your property, they could not have made a criminal trespass arrest simply due to their being on your property unless they had been previously told by you not to be there or they had failed to go upon being told to leave.

If they had done any damage or it could be proven they were there for an unlawful purpose, there are appropriate charges, but simply being on the property of another without express permission to be there is not illegal under GA law.

Disclosure of GCIC information is a major, major non no, punishable by 15 years in prison and a $50K fine; so, the cops aren't likely to run the tag and simply give you the information from it.

Correct. We have had some issues with people driving down a field road on our property. Most of them were apologetic and have left with no issues, but my mother in law had to call law enforcement before and it was explained to her that signs have no legal weight regarding trespassing. A person has to be informed before it would stick.

Those Jehovah witness fella's don't come by anymore...... :becky:

downloadfile-1.jpg

You must have written permission to hunt land you don't own. That is law. I'm not sure about whether not the oft repeated "tresspassing isn't a crime unless warned previously" is correct or what statute covers it.
You asked in the original post "what would you do"... in retrospect, I'm curious if you feel your actions were safe. Not sure I'd confront people under the same situation and expose myself and give up my concealment. You could have been shot, and quick like, but I get being PO'd... believe me.
That is a game and wild life violation, and you still can't shoot someone for that.

Back
Top Bottom