• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tula Ammo Destroying Glock Striker

I wouldn't say he got scammed. Sounds like he had a bad striker and the dudes sold him a new one. Glock would have replaced it for free but he would have had to drive to glock and wait around or next day air it for $ 40

I wouldn't say he got scammed. Sounds like he had a bad striker and the dudes sold him a new one. Glock would have replaced it for free but he would have had to drive to glock and wait around or next day air it for $ 40
I know we don't want to believe that a gun store employeee would sell something to a customer he didn't need but......c'mon
if we take the OP at his word then 1) can you really trust a guy who tells you its normal for a glock striker to break at 800-900 rounds because of "hard primed" ammo? Glock made a name for themselves building a gun that will eat the trashiest ammo on the planet. 2) his claim that a titanium striker is the fix becasue it will never break is equally ridiculous.
Titanium is stronger than steel for the same weight, not the same size. Since a titanium striker has the same dimensions as a factory striker, we can infer that it is just as strong as it needs to be, but not really stronger to any significant degree.
for ex. if you have a beam made of steel of a particular size, and replace it with a titanium beam of identical size, you will save weight, but not be able to hold more. If you replace the steel beam with a titanium beam with one of the same mass, the titanium beam will be much beefier (due to lower density) and so it will hold more weight. You can have one, or the other. titanium of same dimensions will save weight but not be stronger, titanium of same weight will be larger and hold more.
titanium after market strikers are always marketed as being lighter (since they are the same size) but ive never seen them marketed as being stronger (why would you need to increase strength, the factory part is strong enough, if it wasn't glock would have fixed long ago.) The gun shop employee shuld have known all of this. This is why i come to the conclusion gun store employee ripped him off. The guy (employee) is either a liar, or a moron. either way I would complain to the owner and not do business with them again.

It happens, but normally after a lot more shots fired with steel ammo.

As far as the titanium strikers breaking, you should be totally fine.

I have put thousands of rounds of tula through my 17, my 26 and my 21 each. I have never had that problem. Tula might have hard primers, but no harder than any other military spec primer. You just had a fluke bad striker IMO. glock would have replaced it for free. I think you got rooked on the titanium striker. Those are almost exclusively marketed as being lighter, not marketed as being stronger.

Its been stated before Ti is lighter. Ti firing pens/strikers are used a lot as up grades to prevent slam fires, in the case of the Glock I would say its to reduce lock time. It most certainly is NOT "tougher". For a striker you want something what will take its shape and hold it with out bending or breaking. Under repeated blows. I would be willing to bet that a Ti striker will not last as long as an OEM piece. My experience with Ti machine parts is that they are only useful in mass/weight savings situations. Any other time a steel is more suitable.

With that being said... your OEM striker breaking was a fluke. Tula ammo had nothing to do with it. If someone wants to talk about steel cases being rough on extractors and ejectors or bi metal jackets wearing on rifling I say they may have a point. But I call BS on hard primers breaking a striker. I also hope that the counter jockeys were simply mistaken about there "unbreakable" Ti striker and not trying to sell you something that you really dont need.

Its been stated before Ti is lighter. Ti firing pens/strikers are used a lot as up grades to prevent slam fires, in the case of the Glock I would say its to reduce lock time. It most certainly is NOT "tougher". For a striker you want something what will take its shape and hold it with out bending or breaking. Under repeated blows. I would be willing to bet that a Ti striker will not last as long as an OEM piece. My experience with Ti machine parts is that they are only useful in mass/weight savings situations. Any other time a steel is more suitable.

With that being said... your OEM striker breaking was a fluke. Tula ammo had nothing to do with it. If someone wants to talk about steel cases being rough on extractors and ejectors or bi metal jackets wearing on rifling I say they may have a point. But I call BS on hard primers breaking a striker. I also hope that the counter jockeys were simply mistaken about there "unbreakable" Ti striker and not trying to sell you something that you really dont need.

Hmmm... Seems it's as I feared... I think I'll be returning the titanium striker and taking a trip to Smyrna. Thanks for the input everyone.

For the record I have thousands of rounds of Tula through my G21, G30, 1911, AR's and other guns. For some reason, some people think that only AK's were designed to function with steel so they must be the only ones what will. For me, if I cant trust a gun to steel cased and hard primed. I cant trust it period.

I know we don't want to believe that a gun store employeee would sell something to a customer he didn't need but......c'mon
if we take the OP at his word then 1) can you really trust a guy who tells you its normal for a glock striker to break at 800-900 rounds because of "hard primed" ammo? Glock made a name for themselves building a gun that will eat the trashiest ammo on the planet. 2) his claim that a titanium striker is the fix becasue it will never break is equally ridiculous.
Titanium is stronger than steel for the same weight, not the same size. Since a titanium striker has the same dimensions as a factory striker, we can infer that it is just as strong as it needs to be, but not really stronger to any significant degree.
for ex. if you have a beam made of steel of a particular size, and replace it with a titanium beam of identical size, you will save weight, but not be able to hold more. If you replace the steel beam with a titanium beam with one of the same mass, the titanium beam will be much beefier (due to lower density) and so it will hold more weight. You can have one, or the other. titanium of same dimensions will save weight but not be stronger, titanium of same weight will be larger and hold more.
titanium after market strikers are always marketed as being lighter (since they are the same size) but ive never seen them marketed as being stronger (why would you need to increase strength, the factory part is strong enough, if it wasn't glock would have fixed long ago.) The gun shop employee shuld have known all of this. This is why i come to the conclusion gun store employee ripped him off. The guy (employee) is either a liar, or a moron. either way I would complain to the owner and not do business with them again.

I guess it depends on how much he paid for a new striker. I have never needed to buy one so I don't know. If you calculate half a day and gas to drive to glock or $40 shipping and a full week out of commission maybe it's a wash. Either way if the striker was broken it needed replacement and the guy that works at the gun store did exactly what his boss demands of him....sell stuff.

Back
Top Bottom