• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tula Ammo Destroying Glock Striker

from what i understand, the difference between shooting steel and brass is that you will get more life out of the gun using brass generally, but its a difference realized after thousands of rounds, not hundreds. also steel case damages the extractor more than the firing pin. i guess it would be first thing needed to be replaced, but again this is the difference between 10K and 12K rounds or more

I would take it to Glock anyway .

There may be a reason the striker broke ,other than the weakness of the striker itself .

I've fired countless boxes of steel cased stuff through Glocks ...... No issues :0)

It's not an opinion. I am just stating what my manuals say. Just an example. My Springfield manual says not to run steel cased ammo because it will void the manufacturers warranty. Tul Ammo is cheap, dirty, and half of it is out of spec. Not to mention highly inaccurate. You get what you pay for and nothing holds truer in the gun world. If people want to run it let em have at it. I personally won't use any. A test done by a couple of gunners doesn't take away from the fact that a lot of gun manufactures will not honer the warranty if they find out you ran steel cased ammo through it. That's not an opinion, it's a documented fact. Did you not read the first post. If I am not mistaken the gunsmith was on the same page I am on. Learn to read dip !@@$. If you want to get personal there is one for you.

The steel case does no damage to any weapon. The bimetal jacket will cause the barrel to wear out at a slightly quicker rate. The extractor is made from from much harder steel than what's used in the case. A softer material will not cause a harder material to wear out. Primers are a bit harder, but not so hard that a factory gun would have trouble with it. Once you start with lighter spring set ups or trigger jobs, it could be.

For the record, the striker I was sold cost me $68, including tax.
You could have had it replaced for free in Smyrna or ordered a factory replacement for alot less. And the Ti striker is not indestructible. While that is a low round count, I wouldn't take it as a sign that there is anything wrong with the factory part. I definitely do not believe that the Tula ammo was the cause. You're more likely to break one from dry fire practice and even then, it would usually take thousands and thousands of repetitions. You got a bad part. Sometimes, crap happens and parts break.

I guess it depends on how much he paid for a new striker. I have never needed to buy one so I don't know. If you calculate half a day and gas to drive to glock or $40 shipping and a full week out of commission maybe it's a wash. Either way if the striker was broken it needed replacement and the guy that works at the gun store did exactly what his boss demands of him....sell stuff.
I disagree. its not the cost involved that is important. The dealer was dishonest with him about why his OEM striker failed, and was dishonest with him about why he should buy a titanium replacement. It might not have been expensive, but its more expensive than the OEM part. The dealer was either dishonest or stupid. Either way, its not okay.

Just about every manual i have read said not to use steel ammo. It's hard on firing pins, extractors, and ejectors. Not to mention chamber. Sure there are guys out there that run that crap but I respect my guns to much to abuse them with junk ammo. I don't know how many serious guns guys and gunsmiths that would tell you to not even shoot the gun if that's all you have. I have been in so many debates about that ammo. Next time you get a chance see what your manual says about it. I am talking big name manufactures not surplus AK 47's.

If a gun wont fire **** ammo, that gun is a piece of ****. Its got nothing to do with respecting your gun. My AR and my Glock are tools. Weapons of war. Not dainty glass slippers only to be worn for show. If they cant take a little abuse, then I need to sell them and find ones that can.

Back
Top Bottom