• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tula Ammo Destroying Glock Striker

from what i understand, the difference between shooting steel and brass is that you will get more life out of the gun using brass generally, but its a difference realized after thousands of rounds, not hundreds. also steel case damages the extractor more than the firing pin. i guess it would be first thing needed to be replaced, but again this is the difference between 10K and 12K rounds or more
agreed, but its more like tens of thousands of rounds, not hundreds. People complain that they wear out extractors, bolt faces, barrels, whatever. Lets say you get tula 5.56 at $.30 a round and brass at $.50 a round. over 5000 rounds that's a cost savings of $1000. You could buy a new AR for that money with room to spare. And these guys want to spend several thousand dollars on brass ammo so......what? So they can save the replacement of a $5 extractor? Seriously? How does that make sense? Even if you didn't shoot that much, the $200 you save per 1000 rounds would pay for a new bolt, extractor and a gas tube. Its this new thing called math people. Look into it.

Last edited:
agreed, but its more like tens of thousands of rounds, not hundreds. People complain that they wear out extractors, bolt faces, barrels, whatever. Lets say you get tula 5.56 at $.30 a round and brass at $.50 a round. over 5000 rounds that's a cost savings of $1000. You could buy a new AR for that money with room to spare. And these guys want to spend several thousand dollars on brass ammo so......what? So they can save the replacement of a $5 extractor? Seriously? How does that make sense? Even if you didn't shoot that much, the $200 you save per 1000 rounds would pay for a new bolt, extractor and a gas tube. Its this new thing called math people. Look into it.
Yup, unless you reload, bout the only thing i.figure

Agreed. Except that brass is running around $0.30 and steel is around $0.22. Same premise, it just takes a little longer to make up the difference.

That was a pretty cool article. I prefer brass but the economics of shooting steel does make sense. Good thing I reload so I only shoot brass if I'm low on ammo or shooting 7.62.

I run tons of Tula and Wolf through my AR. I'm at ~10k through it right now and at least half of that is cheap Russky stuff. I end up replacing gas rings every 2k and just replaced the extractor and cam pin....maybe $30 worth of parts total.

Two things: The stock Striker was DEFECTIVE--It shouldn't have broken with that few rounds thru the gun, no matter what kind of Primers were used...Second thing is, while a Titanium Striker is LIGHTER THAN the stock Steel Striker, it is also MORE FRAGILE--Plenty of people use the Ti Strikers to get the last little bit of Triiger Pull Reduction out of the Glock, and quite a few of those Ti Strikers will BREAK or Deform eventually--HTH--mikey357

>Whats the purpose of cheap ammo?
>ignores test done by MAJOR ammo company that proves ammo type is not conducive to gun wear
>The book says it so it must be right
>Ignores real world testing
> retail store employee opinions

They said that was the problem since Tula is "hard primed," which apparently causes the striker to work significantly harder, and then, they sold me and installed a titanium striker, claiming this one will never break.

> No where in this is "Gunsmith" mentioned

Lastly why the **** would i buy a gun that cant run steel case ammo.

It's not an opinion. I am just stating what my manuals say. Just an example. My Springfield manual says not to run steel cased ammo because it will void the manufacturers warranty. Tul Ammo is cheap, dirty, and half of it is out of spec. Not to mention highly inaccurate. You get what you pay for and nothing holds truer in the gun world. If people want to run it let em have at it. I personally won't use any. A test done by a couple of gunners doesn't take away from the fact that a lot of gun manufactures will not honer the warranty if they find out you ran steel cased ammo through it. That's not an opinion, it's a documented fact. Did you not read the first post. If I am not mistaken the gunsmith was on the same page I am on. Learn to read dip !@@$. If you want to get personal there is one for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom