• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tune the Rossi R92 at nearly zero cost, no cutting, grinding, sanding or other highly skilled butchery of factory controlled metal parts is required

Loading gate was very stiff. I took it out and ground a crescent moon shape covering nearly the length of the spring (Between gate spoon and screw lug) and thinning about 1/3 of the width of the spring. Polished the cut and the operating surfaces and now it's not a thumb buster and brass scraper. Easier to load and positive functionality.
Got any pictures for this step, this is by far my biggest gripe on mine

Thanx for these fixes !

My 20" 44 musta been built on a good day and was quite a nice change over the 357 that was my first R92. 👍

The 357 was a beast to load ! The gate area was super sharp and rounds had to go in just right or get pinched. The mag spring was the same length as the 20" rifle, so trimming off a few inches helped a little.

Gate modification.
IMG_20231124_093305665.jpg

Mag spring length of 1.3 to 1.5 times the length of the mag tube provides ease of loading with best dirty gun reliability. 1.5 times is the best all around choice for a shorter spring

Steve got my money about two years ago...

I do need to do the feed gate mod. PIA to load for sure.
If folks would get to know their guns like their girlfriends, (and neither is really too difficult), Steve would be eating BeaneyWienies with the rest of us!

I bought my 44 16" stainless 12 years ago and bought Steve's parts. Swapped out the goofy safety for the peep sight option and replaced the plastic follower with the metal. Replaced the front sight with a F/O front. I rarely hunt with a gun but I do love carrying the little gun while checking cameras and easing around the woods. Always wanted to find someone who could smooth up the action a little. I took it apart once and tried hitting any sharp edges with a stone. Seemed grittier when I got done, so stopped. lol

The work shown here won't "smooth" it as such. That's stone and polish work.

But for someone with very limited funds or just wanting a friendlier working rifle, this helps a lot and is achievable by everybody.

I don't care much for steves, or skinners similar for marlin, bolt mounted peep sights. They are pretty much sling swivels sold at $66+ last I looked. Coarse threads for not very helpful range/load adjustments and no windage.

But, if you look around, for $10 or less, way back when, and still available now, there was a grand option.

Marbles Adjustable Front Sights. Windage and tons of elevation. And suits the rifle better than picatinny rails, dot thingies or perhaps even a scope.....

Back
Top Bottom