• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turkey Challenge

How do y’all want to do it this year?

• Total voters
If anyone has ever turkey hunted much they have missed and have had the same feelings you had this morning.
You are absolutely right!
I missed several because I didn’t look straight down the rib on my shotgun. I guess I was trying to watch the kill over the barrel instead of lining up properly.
A set of truglo rifle style sights has since remedied that problem.
My Son missed a stud of a bird the day before yesterday. He had to let it move out to 40 yards to get a clean shot.
I had a chip shot at him from 20 yards from where I was sitting. The Tom was only 20 yards from us at one point, strutting back and forth.
He had too much vegetation in the way from his point of view and even said he couldn’t make a clean shot. That shows a lot of maturity as a hunter that is only 11 years old. He was beating himself up pretty bad after missing but I told him if he turkey hunts long enough he will miss a couple.
Adamjen15 Adamjen15 , Glad you’ve shrugged that miss off and are back at it.

Most of the hens must be tending to nests already…..Late morning through early afternoon is getting good. Had one fired up at 2PM, gobbled a lot, covered a couple hundred yards in mere minutes, he finally flew across a big creek and privet thicket after an hour of the quiet game.
It didn’t end like I wanted but I’m stoked to know that I made one do what he did.

Most of the hens must be tending to nests already…..Late morning through early afternoon is getting good. Had one fired up at 2PM, gobbled a lot, covered a couple hundred yards in mere minutes, he finally flew across a big creek and privet thicket after an hour of the quiet game.
It didn’t end like I wanted but I’m stoked to know that I made one do what he did.
Had one yesterday do the same, but hens found him at the last minute. He covered some serious ground fast

Definitely agree that hens are tendin'. The large rafters we have been watching have dwindled significantly. Whereas we watched one rafter of 31 and another rafter of 37, we now see maybe 5-7 hens together, a few Jake's and maybe one Tom, then a tom solo here and there. Last Sunday we heard 3 toms in three different areas. Hoping to get into it this Sunday!

Sat through the drizzling rain this morning and then a really heavy downpour around 11:00.
Struck him after the sun came back out at 11:45, killed him at 12:30.
IMG_3231.jpeg

How’s the hunting been for y’all so far? I’m not gonna lie this has been one of the hardest seasons for me in quite some time. I’ve been on birds about every time but it just seems they have been slipping away. Oh and the miss Monday didn’t help. 😂 I made up for it yesterday though, but even the bird yesterday was tough. He hung up between 75 and 80 yards and I had to roll around the tree I was setup on and army crawl about 10 or 15 yards behind the tree and make soft yelps and scratch in the leaves and crawled back to the tree to get him to come in.

Back
Top Bottom