• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Turning an 870 Wingmaster hunting shotgun into a home defense weapon

Wing shooting or defensive shooting either one I wouldn’t mind having this machine by my side. Great transformation on the 870 by the way!

It was my privilege to meet Tom Knapp in arranging for him to put on some demo shoots. He was a real gentleman.

One of my favorite shots of his, in which I participated a few times, is to take a dozen eggs and throw them any way you want. 1 at a time, 2 at a time, 6 at a time, and none of them will ever hit the ground.

The shot where he is breaking multiple targets is an attempt to break Herb Parson's record for hand thrown targets, (7) which he set with a Model 12 pump shotgun. I've played around with doing this both with a pump and a semi-auto, but my hand is not nearly big enough to hold 7 targets. Forget shooting them, just try to hold that many in one hand steady enough to throw them in the air.

For grins and giggles, put a timer on Herb getting off 7 aimed shots.

It was my privilege to meet Tom Knapp in arranging for him to put on some demo shoots. He was a real gentleman.

One of my favorite shots of his, in which I participated a few times, is to take a dozen eggs and throw them any way you want. 1 at a time, 2 at a time, 6 at a time, and none of them will ever hit the ground.

The shot where he is breaking multiple targets is an attempt to break Herb Parson's record for hand thrown targets, (7) which he set with a Model 12 pump shotgun. I've played around with doing this both with a pump and a semi-auto, but my hand is not nearly big enough to hold 7 targets. Forget shooting them, just try to hold that many in one hand steady enough to throw them in the air.

For grins and giggles, put a timer on Herb getting off 7 aimed shots.

Wow! :shocked:

I couldn’t use a tubing cutter because the barrel in that section was tapered.

I cut it off with a fine hacksaw, and used a square to get everything nice and even all the way around. I used progressively finer files, then stones, and finished up with emery.

In for project pics. And I think I habe experienced that rare malfunction you referred to. My old Smith 1000P is basically a 70s Japanese 870 knockoff. At one point while shooting it I had a live shell get behind the lifter with an empty still stuck in the barrel. I can't recall all the details but I do recall it required me to unscrew the mag tube cap and remove the barrel to get it all cleared out.

I couldn’t use a tubing cutter because the barrel in that section was tapered.

I cut it off with a fine hacksaw, and used a square to get everything nice and even all the way around. I used progressively finer files, then stones, and finished up with emery.
Tube/ pipe cutter is my go to as long as it's not a vent rib barrel.

Just cut a 410 barrel a couple weeks ago....watched several YouTube videos beforehand. Used a hacksaw with a fine tooth blade...32 tpi...and a hose clamp as a guide to get a straight cut. Finished with a file and emery paper. Found a small square gizmo at Home Depot that was perfect for measuring a square cut. Couple coats of cold blue and it looks pretty good for a first attempt. It was NOT a vent rib barrel.

I would not use any power tool as this is a slow precision job, unless you had access to a commercial band saw to do a professional cut. Saw a lot of die grinder buggered up cuts on yt.

Back
Top Bottom