• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Underground Storage

ridgerunner33

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
110   0
Reaction score
Maybe someone here can point us in the right direction.Does anyone know the proper method for storing ammo and weapons underground.I'm looking for information like depth,proper containers,prepping etc.Any information will be helpful,we are not there yet,however I would like to understand the process completely and have the right methods and materials before that time.Thanks in advance for any and all information. Ridgerunner33

How large of a container are you looking to store? Or rather, how much stuff are we talking? I have a few good links for storing small caches or stuff underground, but I am talking a few rifles and few thousand rounds at the most.

Cheaper Than Dirt has a few products I have considered. See ZAA-250 for a plastic vault which seems large enough to hold and AR, PD shotgun, some ammo, etc. Also, see products MTM-310 and 311 for dry boxes for ammo and small items. Don't forget military ammo boxes with a rubber gasket for short term storage (not so long as to allow rust and corrosion). The Plastic Vault Tube causes me to think that someone could make his own with larger PVC pipes with screw on caps on each end. Be sure to include cans of desiccant lest there is some condensation forming from temperature changes.

Almost anything plastic with thick walls will work if you have oil on everything and the silica gel packs to absorb the moisture.

OK at the risk of sounding strange.........but then again we are talking about burying guns and ammo to keep them safe from detection (I assume).

Bury the tube vertical not horizontal (does not show up as well with GPR) and if you put an animal between the tube and the surface you will stop the digging on the spot if found.

This information came from a forensics officer friend of mine.

Well, I tested this a long time ago and left a report over at Assaultweb dot net. I used be a mod over there back in the early days when it first started. Anyway this post was archived and I have copied it for here:
"Picked up some 155mm storage tubes from a good friend and fellow board member several years ago. Steel cased, with a heavy duty screw tight air-proof seal these appeared to be ideal storage containers. After doing a little experimenting I found that a dis-assembled SKS and 40rds of ammo on strippers fit rather nicely.
One tube will hold two 200rd battle packs of .308 or 500rds of 7.62x39 in the box.
After finding an appropriate candidate SKS, I asked myself what I wanted to do. I came to the conclusion that this would be a rifle that if needed, would be needed functioning ASAP after retrieval. This ruled out cosmoline dip in and out.
Can Prep
Would the tubes rust? The only weak (as far as possible rusting goes) points that I was concerned with were the seams. So, with that in mind I grabbed my can of bed-liner spray and hit all of the seams with a quick coat. I dropped a large bag of dessicant into the very bottom.
Gun Prep
I stripped the SKS down and although cosmoline was not going to be used, I needed some kind preservation coat just to make me feel better. I decided on white lithium grease. I put a visible coat of lithium on the exterior metal. I coated the outside of the mag assembly, trigger group, receiver cover also. I was a little concerned about the lithium grease maybe taking off of the bluing over time, but that wouldn’t matter if and when it was needed-so long as it functioned.
I did not want to grease up the bore-I would not want to have to take time to clear it when re-assembling it for use.
I did however oil it liberally with several oil-dripping patches. I then plugged both ends with cloth patches.
Other than the grease coat on the metal, I did nothing with the gas piston and left it in place on the rifle.
I wrapped the assembly in a plastic garbage bag, taking care to wrap the stock outside of the stripped action and barrel. I left the sling attached to both the barrel and stock. The greased parts went into a plastic storage bag and into the tube. Then the action and stock. Not wanting the bolt and firing pin to be gunky with grease either, I oiled them lightly and wrapped them in wax paper before sealing in a plastic storage bag.
I fitted it into the tube along side of the action/stock. Up to this point this is great. Do I have a club or a rifle? Ammo, yea that would help. I did not want boxed ammo to have to fool with, so I went with 40rds on stripper clips-daisy chained together with small zip-ties. I also placed a cheap snipper in the tube to cut the zip ties later.
The lid went on and was tightened down good before placing a zip tie on it. I use RED to designate weapon(s) and YELLOW for ammo. If misc gear is to be stored I put a GREEN tie on it. This does two things: it gives a fast ID if in a hurry; and it lets you know if someone has went into the tube.
When all was done, I placed the tubes in their storage location. Atmosphere: damp, 40 degree high temp during the summer, very cold in winter. Damp year round.
One year.
Two years..
Three years&#8230;
I decided to remove the cache and inspect for condition. It is fairly warm above ground here now, so I removed the tubes and dropped them in the back yard last night for the temperature to gradually equalize overnight. This will prevent condensation, especially in southern climates with high humidity.
(Lesson Learned: previously I cached some 8mm turk in small 80mm mortor tubes. I removed it from the cache and opened it on the spot. The moment outside air hit in the inside it was instant condensation. No problem if you are loading the rifle for imminent use, but I don’t like damp ammo that was made in 1939.)
Opening the weapons tube I was glad to hear the welcome hiss and slurp as the seal was broken and the lid removed.
I removed all of the parts from the rifle tube. I had previously went and grabbed a handful of rags, totally forgetting that I had tied the stock and action wrapping together with rag strips (for grease removal)
Unwrapping the action and stock, the white grease was easily visible and that would aid in the removal.
I wiped the grease off with the rag strips. It came off very easily. The other blued parts and trigger group followed. I inspected the bolt and bolt carrier-it was lightly oiled and looked good.
I did remove the gas tube and inspect the gas piston-no rust-looked good.
Conclusion: no rust anywhere, no harm to the blueing.
I unplugged the bore and gave that a quick look. Shiney as a new dollar but no excessive oil-it would not need any cleaning or pass through of any kind.
Re-assembly was quick and the rifle was ready for action.

Summary: this rifle could have been unpacked, given a cursory wipe, assembled and ready to fire in less than five minutes.
All in all I am very happy with the results. I think it would have kept for many years in good condition."

Hey now thats a pretty good idea! The dead animal countermeasure I mean.

I thought so. The funny thing is this came up in a conversation where I made the comment that I could eat a body to hide it if someone hurt my kids. My friend says 'Why would you do something that gross? All you have to do is"............you've got the point already.

Knowledge is power, the book table at the gun show should be the table everyone go take a look at next time they're at the show!

As far as depth, you've got to decide if you are going have a lot of time to dig it up or dig it quickly. Better have some post hole diggers if you want to go vertical on the burial.
If you are going to do ammo in a pre-made tube, you can rig up a deal where you can "pull" the core out of the tube without digging up the whole tube....I'll post a sketch shortly.
On another note, you can buy a large PVC pipe and cut it to size....you load it up, put heavy pvc caps on both ends (with pipe dope to seal it) and bury it. NOTE: DUCT TAPE A HACK SAW BLADE ON THE EXTERIOR OF THE TUBE SO YOU CAN OPEN IT UPON RETRIEVAL. This is not a speedy speedy method, but it works.

BURIAL.jpg

Last edited:
I have an acquaintance that buried an AK and ammo in an area he thought was private property and safe for long term storage. He went back the site (GPS located) a few years later to recover the cache (he was relocating to another state) only to discover about a gazillion cubic yards of dirt over it. The private property had been sold to a developer for a new neighborhood.
There was no way possible for him to retrieve it without heavy equipment or an earth mover.

Back
Top Bottom