• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Update: Got the mount back! Big deer hit. Wish me luck!

Thats the problem with bow hunting. I have done it for years and I have got where I only take the perfect broadside shots at around 30 yards or less. So much can go wrong and I have done the same thing tracking a wounded deer only to kill it the next day. I lost more deer the first couple of years than I care to admit and spent many long nights tracking deer. It's one of things that make you sick but with time a patience it gets better. I let a buck walk this year during bow season that was about the same size as yours only because I couldn't tell exactly where I was aiming because his front shoulder was behind a tree. This time it looks like the arrows were to blame. Either way Congrats on a heck of a deer and memories that will last a lifetime. :thumb:
I don't typically take quartering on shots with a bow, but this guy was a step or two away from not being able to get any shot at all and I was confidant of my aim and equipment. Big oops on the equipment part.

Congrats Bear! I admit I was getting worried after the long wait, but I am glad for you. That's a fine bow buck! He was a tough old blister.

Another interesting thing was the group of other bucks he was with yesterday. There were five total including him and they were close together, not following at a distance. It was a classic herd of deer and a bachelor group. The age ranged from this guy all the way down to a button buck. Two of them may have been the same age, but they were probably all a year apart from each other. The beta buck in the group was no slouch himself and is going to be a very good buck next year.

I think this guy is one of two good bucks I saw together and got terrible pics of in mid summer when they still had a lot of antler to grow. Those two were clearly the same age and fully mature. That means there is already another big boy in here and he'll be even bigger next year if he survived this season.

Back
Top Bottom