• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Update to prev post

Thanks folks and thx wademic2 for the prayers,,our dogs are family and I was very scared for him. He laid on the floor behind my chair and slept a loooong time...after eating and drinking about a gallon of water lol. He musta had a hard day and night but he made it and thats what counts. I got to go out and get a deer this afternoon so he can have some deer snacks :)

Glad it turned out OK.

Here are a couple of tips about tracking to prevent some of the danger he was in.

1) Use a flat collar rather than a choke chain. It is much less likely to strangle the dog if the lead gets hung up.
2) Use a lead line without a snap hook. Just run one end of the line through the loop on the collar and double the line. No knots anywhere on the line. Hold onto both ends of the line in the same hand. The idea is that if the dog gets away from you, it is likely that only one end of the line will get caught on something and the dog will simply pull the line completely out of the collar.

This way the dog will end up rather quickly with a non restricting collar and no lead at all. This greatly increases their safety. You were right to be VERY worried about him out with a lead on a choke chain dragging around behind him.

I use to use a flat collar on him but that rascal figured out how to spin around and duck out of it lol guess i could tighten it up a little to prevent that. Hard to figure how the lead came unsnapped from the choke chain, little help from above. In all honesty, I shouldnt have put him on the trail of this deer. From the type blood I found and a piece of round bone, it screams a leg shot, which is a bad shot on my part. I do like the idea on the led, I would sure rather have to replace the led than loose my bud. This has scared me away from a choke chain.

Back
Top Bottom