• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

US Supreme Court rules cops can use illegally seized evidence.

The thing is, this is a substantial shift in policy from a usually democratically controlled court. I can't believe only one voted to limit government power, and 8 voted to hold the decision. Even that, I can't believe Sotomayor was the lone dissenter.

Exactly, and during that Terry pat, if he finds anything he can articulate into probable cause, he can now search your vehicle and anything found can be used. All because you were legally carrying.

Exactly. Like seizing a stack of hundos in your pocket. You may have been on your way to the funshow, but now you are looking for a lawyer to prove you didn't obtain said funds from slinging booger sugar.

I'm sure there is more to this story than what was reported in the article. Why did the police officer ask to search the car? Was there drug paraphernalia in plain view? Did the officer have a dog that detected the scent of drugs? I find it difficult to believe the officer would stop a car for a tail light infraction (though this was not an infraction per North Carolina law) and randomly decide to perform a comprehensive search.

Last edited:
Dont do the crime if you cant do the time.I say all cops should stay home a month and let the populace run wild in the streets.Everyone would get a dose of reality in a month.

Did you read the whole article?This was an obscure part of the law that the legislation had not updated.Every state has, can't sell a car in the state without both or three lights working, I believe NC has inspections and all lights must be working. This is a mistake by the legislation. I think it would be reasonable for anyone reading this that the vast majority of officers anywhere would not be aware of this oversite.. Bet it's fixed soon by the legislation.

Strangely enough, there is no defense for a person charged with a crime that the law was obscure or misinterpreted. "Sorry your Honor, my improper making of an NFA item was because of an honest oversight on my part" got no one off, ever.

Just another step down the road of "if you have nothing to hide, then you should not have a problem with a search, and if you do then screw you anyway" decisions.

Back
Top Bottom