• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Use of deadly force question

I personally feel that we should be able to shoot someone who is breaking into your car without the fear of prosecution. I mean, if thieves know that they can be killed for breaking into a car, they would probably reconsider.

Make punishment for crimes more severe and I believe crime rates would go down.

So your basically saying that your willing to kill someone because they are breaking into your car... your willing to put yourself in harms way by confronting someone that, yes, is committing a crime however is not at the current moment about to cause you serious bodily harm or death? God I hope your never put in that situation.

Remember, to make it justified you have to know they had the "opportunity, the ability, and the intent" to do YOU or an innocent victim great bodily harm or cause YOU or a innocent victim death. Being the hero to save a broken window doesn't fit that description at all.

Oh hey look someone else who didnt read the thread from beginning to end....Thanks for telling me Im not ready to carry a firearm. I really do appreciate it. I had "known" that it was illegal to use deadly force to protect property however when discussing with a local PD who is so adamant that it borders aggression maybe you would begin to question what you "knew" as well.

As always thanks for being a dick.

Yeah, i going to say.. If anyone hasn't read the entire post, then they are not ready to comment! You should be able to ask any question you want when it comes to this, even if it's to reconfirm something you already knew

So your basically saying that your willing to kill someone because they are breaking into your car... your willing to put yourself in harms way by confronting someone that, yes, is committing a crime however is not at the current moment about to cause you serious bodily harm or death? God I hope your never put in that situation.

Remember, to make it justified you have to know they had the "opportunity, the ability, and the intent" to do YOU or an innocent victim great bodily harm or cause YOU or a innocent victim death. Being the hero to save a broken window doesn't fit that description at all.

I'm not saying that I would do it. I just think that if the thieves know that they can be killed if they were to commit the crime, they would hopefully be deterred in the first place thus no one gets shot.

Don't mess with other people and their stuff and you don't get killed.

Kind of like stand your ground with personal property. There would still be due process and if you were to kill someone who wasn't breaking into your car, you will be charged with murder. So you better make damn sure you know what is going on before you do anything rash.

I'm not saying that I would do it. I just think that if the thieves know that they can be killed if they were to commit the crime, they would hopefully be deterred in the first place thus no one gets shot.

Don't mess with other people and their stuff and you don't get killed.

Kind of like stand your ground with personal property. There would still be due process and if you were to kill someone who wasn't breaking into your car, you will be charged with murder. So you better make damn sure you know what is going on before you do anything rash.

We should also be allowed to shoot people that cut you off in traffic

We should also be allowed to shoot people that cut you off in traffic

That's not the same thing because they are not intentionally trying to cause you harm. Now if they were ramming your car with theirs and trying to run you off the road then yes because at that time your life is being threatened.

That's not the same thing because they are not intentionally trying to cause you harm. Now if they were ramming your car with theirs and trying to run you off the road then yes because at that time your life is being threatened.

They are not trying to cause you harm by stealing your stuff either.

if you confront the auto thief and they point at gun at you or you feel your life is threatened with death then you can shoot but you can't just shoot the guy as he breaks into your car just for the autotheft

if you go to confront and he turns to you with a gun in his hand and you feel threatened shoot

if you yell at him and he runs but doesn't try to hurt you then call the cops and report the atempted break in

if you have the opportunity instead press the alarm/panic button and freak him out and he'll leave most likely

but that's just some situations how i would react, i aint no lawyer

Last edited:
They are not trying to cause you harm by stealing your stuff either.

I would like to add that they are not trying to steal your car/ stuff when they cut you off. Also cutting off someone in traffic is not a crime. Heck someone that cut you off might not have even known because they were on their phones or just wasn't paying attention.

Back
Top Bottom