• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Using your middle finger to shoot Semi-Auto Handguns

rlt3241963

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
28   0
Reaction score
I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and have been left with a very weak Index Finger that also does not function normally. I am no longer able to pull the trigger on both my Handguns. (S&W 908 9mm and a Ruger SR22). But thankfully I am still able to use my index finger to pull the trigger on my AR. Has anyone been successful in using there Middle Finger because of one reason or another?

I have read many articles that support this method due to the loss of there Index Finger or some sort of injury or impairment as well as just as many articles that discourage this method. I'm just wondering if there is anyone here who has done it, is doing it or knows of someone that is doing this successfully?

The difficult part will be keeping the index finger clear of the slide, it's also going to change how you grip the gun and manage recoil. That being said, it's doable but in my limited experience uncomfortable.

I am naturally a two handed shooter, so grip control won't be an issue. I have not had a chance to live fire test it but dry fire seems very comfortable and I am better at controlling the trigger with my middle finger as apposed to my index finger. I always had a habit of pulling to the lower left when shooting and that was mainly due to my index finger being a bit short. I could only make contact with the trigger with just the tip of my index finger. With my middle finger it places the trigger at the crease of the first and second parts of my finger. If I can pull it off live fire wise this just may improve my aim.

I'd damn sure try it and I applaud you for not quitting because of it.
I'm getting older myself and can see that either I adapt or I'm out.
I'm going to adapt and improvise for as long as I can and I'm not going down easy.

Do it! Practice. Get good at it. Buy or trade for a different gun if you have to.
Good for you for soldiering through!

I'd damn sure try it and I applaud you for not quitting because of it.
I'm getting older myself and can see that either I adapt or I'm out.
I'm going to adapt and improvise for as long as I can and I'm not going down easy.

Do it! Practice. Get good at it. Buy or trade for a different gun if you have to.
Good for you for soldiering through!
Heck yeah, try out different pistols that may have a different grip to make it easier to shoot like this. Never give up, just try new stuff.

There's a handicapped 3gun shooter that's missing both hands. I saw him on a miculek video, but couldn't find it. I'm sure with practice, you could easily be better than the average shooter

Is your finger usable enough that you could shoot something with a lighter trigger? I don't how many trigger options there are for smith 908s though.

The trigger on the S&W could be modified but the SR22 can not because of it being a rim fire handgun. I would prefer to keep what I have and modify my shooting methods thereby allowing me to shoot a number of different handguns rather than limit myself.

Back
Top Bottom