• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Using your middle finger to shoot Semi-Auto Handguns

Yes, I'm quite aware of that. That's why I didn't ONLY mention rifle shooting. The majority of my response was referencing pistol shooting.

The guy I mentioned with the end of his index finger missing was a Fed agent and had no issues qualifying with a SIG P229 in .357SIG. Plenty of recoil there, much more than a S&W 908. He easily qualified on both the old Tactical Pistol Course and the newer Practical Pistol Course.
Remember the OP has arthritis...

Don't have to remember....never forgot it.

I mentioned "diligent practice". If the OP is not able to handle the recoil with the changed grip, this is how he finds it out.
Sure, then cited examples of people that didn't have the same affliction. Regardless, it seems that we won't see eye to eye on this.

Sure, then cited examples of people that didn't have the same affliction. Regardless, it seems that we won't see eye to eye on this.

From the OP's post he sounded like an intelligent man who wrote a cogent and well though out post. I wrote my answer geared towards him, not to you or anyone else here.

I saw no need to go into minute detail, as the OP has a grasp on the situation. I stated it was doable, and advised him to practice. At that point it's all up to the OP to:

1. Practice shooting with his middle finger
2. Decide whether or not it works for HIM

This is one of those posts that NO ONE can give the 100% sure-fire answer to. The only way to solve the issue is for the OP himself to go to the range and practice the new technique. If it doesn't work for him, then it doesn't work for him, but only he can answer that question. You and I can argue until the cows come home, but nothing we say will solve the OP's issue.

Over the more than 2 decades I've been doing firearms instruction I've have plenty of students that have had issues of one sort or the other, whether due to injuries, age, or a problem they've had since birth. I've learned that there are no cookie cutter or one-size-fits-all answers. Start with the easiest solution and work your way down the list from there. Using the middle finger is, in my book, the easiest solution.

If the middle finger doesn't work for the OP, then I would go to other options, like:
1. Switching hands, if the OP doesn't have the same issues with his other index finger. This has worked for some people.
2. Going to a different gun that doesn't have that long, heavy DA pull (which has been somewhat covered previously in this post). The OP already stated that a 1911 is a no-go, so I would have suggested something striker-fired, like a Glock/S&W M&P/SAI XD/HK VP9/Steyr M-series/etc.

it seems to be possible with my double action guns, the basic manual safety locations are within thumb reach and the middle finger with a to handed grip seems fairly comfortable without much jerky movements and keeping the sight picture when i dry fired in the posture

pulling a hammer back seemed much harder as it forced me to change hand positions too much imo

i do not have arthritis of any kind yet though but if you practice enough at it then it seems feasible with fairly low strength

I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and have been left with a very weak Index Finger that also does not function normally. I am no longer able to pull the trigger on both my Handguns. (S&W 908 9mm and a Ruger SR22). But thankfully I am still able to use my index finger to pull the trigger on my AR. Has anyone been successful in using there Middle Finger because of one reason or another?

I have read many articles that support this method due to the loss of there Index Finger or some sort of injury or impairment as well as just as many articles that discourage this method. I'm just wondering if there is anyone here who has done it, is doing it or knows of someone that is doing this successfully?

I've got a range right behind my house we can use. Please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to meet you at the range, FREE OF CHARGE, and work through some options with you that may solve the issue at hand. It will be easy enough to work through 3 or 4 options in a short amount of time and find the solution that works best for YOU. I sent you an IM with all my contact info.

Semper Fi!

Back
Top Bottom