• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Using your middle finger to shoot Semi-Auto Handguns

If you are looking to target shoot then a single action revolver might be the way to go. Nice trigger and no slide to worry with.
Heck, even a DA revolver like a 686 may work in SA mode.

Target shooting is just a small part. I own for protection too. I have a Carry Permit but need to adjust my firing methods. Revolvers are fine but tend to have heavier triggers than semi-auto's

Saw an article years ago about natural shooting. The guy points his index fingers at what he is shooting and uses his middle finger to operate the trigger. Says something about the brain, eyes and hands all work together when pointing at something with the index finger. You may find your a better shot doing it that way than the "normal" way. Article menations that some guns (1911 was one of them) don't lend themselves to index finger being extended forward because of takedown pins or levers being activated accidentally. I found the link here Grab Gun - Point finger - Pull Trigger

I've got good friend who got shot in trigger finger in rotc and has used middle finger for trigger finger every since. He was in airborne Rangers and is on third peace keeping mission in Afghanistan and I would not want him shooting at me at any distance out to 1000 yards. You can train with middle finger and shoot proficient with it!

Saw an article years ago about natural shooting. The guy points his index fingers at what he is shooting and uses his middle finger to operate the trigger. Says something about the brain, eyes and hands all work together when pointing at something with the index finger. You may find your a better shot doing it that way than the "normal" way. Article menations that some guns (1911 was one of them) don't lend themselves to index finger being extended forward because of takedown pins or levers being activated accidentally. I found the link here Grab Gun - Point finger - Pull Trigger

Good article. Now I just need to go to the range and give it a try.

Definitely doable. The trigger is stupid and doesn't know what finger you're using. As long as it's straight and to the rear, doesn't make a difference what finger you use. I've shot plenty of demos using a SIG P229 in SA mode, upside down, using my pinky, out to 200yds.

I've known 2 guys over the years that used their middle fingers for both handgun and rifle shooting and both were quite good. One was missing the end of his index finger and the other injured his in a mountain climbing accident.

Most things are possible through diligent practice.

On rapid drills with my bolt actions, I use my middle finger on the trigger while the thumb and index finger grasp the bolt handle constantly. It's an old British technique that they used to teach with the SMLE and the Mad Minute.

Definitely doable. The trigger is stupid and doesn't know what finger you're using. As long as it's straight and to the rear, doesn't make a difference what finger you use. I've shot plenty of demos using a SIG P229 in SA mode, upside down, using my pinky, out to 200yds.

I've known 2 guys over the years that used their middle fingers and both were quite good. One was missing the end of his index finger and the other injured his in a mountain climbing accident.

Most things are possible through diligent practice.

On rapid drills with my bolt actions, I use my middle finger on the trigger while the thumb and index finger grasp the bolt handle constantly. It's an old British technique that they used to teach with the SMLE and the Mad Minute.

There's quite a bit of difference between shooting a rifle with the middle finger vs a pistol. Recoil management isn't nearly as dependent on the placement of the dominant hand.

There's quite a bit of difference between shooting a rifle with the middle finger vs a pistol. Recoil management isn't nearly as dependent on the placement of the dominant hand.

Yes, I'm quite aware of that. That's why I didn't ONLY mention rifle shooting. The majority of my response was referencing pistol shooting.

The guy I mentioned with the end of his index finger missing was a Fed agent and had no issues qualifying with a SIG P229 in .357SIG. Plenty of recoil there, much more than a S&W 908. He easily qualified on both the old Tactical Pistol Course and the newer Practical Pistol Course.

But shooting a rifle with the middle finger also shows the possibility of proper trigger control. The Mad Minute was 300m with an open-sighted SMLE. Standing to prone, as many hits as you can get in a minute, which would mean at least 1 reload using 5rd stripper clips. The average Tommy would get 18 hits, many of the Instructors were getting 26.

Back
Top Bottom