• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

valuable post - SHTF skills?

I have often thought about hunting in a SHTF scenario and the reality is, most of the large game will be hunted to near extinction in a short amount of time. Back in the Great Depression days, GA had hardly any deer due to mass hunger hunting. I feel like fishing would be a much more reliable, renewable resource unless the states watershed became polluted. If not, a couple of large sain nets will be the way to go.

Hogs is the answer you seek. Capture, redomesticate, breed eat, barter. Make soap from the fat and so on.

Almost all fish in ga are stocked and with no game management, most will be decimated- except hogs. We can't manage them very well.

I for one am totally ok with dying, before I become someone I despise.

I'll be helping, not hurting and I'll protect those under my care with a vengeance.

I'm 60 and I hope I never see the day and don't believe anything like this will happen in my lifetime.
That does not mean I am not prepared, in every which way I can possible imagine and I have a pretty good imagination.

I've been protecting since I was a boy, I will end my days the same way.

I'll be helping, not hurting and I'll protect those under my care with a vengeance.

I'm 60 and I hope I never see the day and don't believe anything like this will happen in my lifetime.
That does not mean I am not prepared, in every which way I can possible imagine and I have a pretty good imagination.

I've been protecting since I was a boy, I will end my days the same way.

Odd how our outlook on life changes with the age, the ever present chip on our shoulders becomes the Eagle, ever watching, vigilant, loving life and willing to help the less fortunate, or those in harms way when we can, our accumulated wisdom wishes to be put to use in useful and helpful ways as our Creator intended, our lessons learned are lessons to be taught to those willing to listen and learn.

Odd how our outlook on life changes with the age, the ever present chip on our shoulders becomes the Eagle, ever watching, vigilant, loving life and willing to help the less fortunate, or those in harms way when we can, our accumulated wisdom wishes to be put to use in useful and helpful ways as our Creator intended, our lessons learned are lessons to be taught to those willing to listen and learn.

well thats just the way it is.

I agree with this. Evil will always be in this world, but good will win. God is still in control regardless what political correctness and the secular world tells us. If I go out, it will not be as a heathen. It seems popular nowadays for the millennials to try and be "savage" and give zero foxtrots, but more important than that to me is being a good person. ANYWAY...

Playing devil's advocate here, but my question for you biker_bill biker_bill , is if you are protecting those under your care (kids/grandkids,wife,etc), do you watch them die as well, or do something extreme, to ensure they don't (see my scenario in above post)?

I would contend that as Christians we should spend as much time thinking of how we will maintain our moral standard in a SHTF scenario as we do planning how we will survive. We don't have the luxury of hitting pause on our moral compas.

When SHTF we will all do thing we thought we will never do, all to protect our loved ones. so its better to pray to God for strength and wisdom than to say i would do this or that.

I believe that all decency, loyalty and personal property will be gone as we know it. Complete chaos, he's right to an extent. People you trust when it's your life or theirs will turn on you... but only for a period of time. 6-18 months. The weak and ill prepared will die or be killed off by the totally unscrupulous folks trying to capitalize. Then the prepared, informed survival folks will begin to group up, organize and begin to establish structure again. At that point safety will be in numbers. So it's some of both. Always maintain hope regardless tho.

Question: imgiane if your 8 year old daughter that you love more than anything that has her whole life ahead of her had diabetes and was out of insulin because all medicene production ceased 6months ago. So shes used all the stock you were able to get she will die without it but your 80 year old neighbor had the same condition but several units of insulin. What would you do? Watch your daughter die when you could have helped her?

On a side note, I think I'd excel at baby making. You know for repopulation efforts. I tell my wife all the time how good I am at it...

I guess I'm just crazy enough to think the old lady would share or even forgo her insulin if approached. I'm not going to kill her to save my daughter. On the other hand, If someone is trying to harm my daughter I will have no problem killing and eating them.

I believe that all decency, loyalty and personal property will be gone as we know it. Complete chaos, he's right to an extent. People you trust when it's your life or theirs will turn on you... but only for a period of time. 6-18 months. The weak and ill prepared will die or be killed off by the totally unscrupulous folks trying to capitalize. Then the prepared, informed survival folks will begin to group up, organize and begin to establish structure again. At that point safety will be in numbers. So it's some of both. Always maintain hope regardless tho.

Question: imgiane if your 8 year old daughter that you love more than anything that has her whole life ahead of her had diabetes and was out of insulin because all medicene production ceased 6months ago. So shes used all the stock you were able to get she will die without it but your 80 year old neighbor had the same condition but several units of insulin. What would you do? Watch your daughter die when you could have helped her?

On a side note, I think I'd excel at baby making. You know for repopulation efforts. I tell my wife all the time how good I am at it...

Okay the scenario is right and all, so when you choose your daughter over your neighbor. those that makes you evil or loving to your daughter. i guess its not all black and white.

Back
Top Bottom