Vehicle carry at vocational school?

DaveTheMinion

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
94   1
Reaction score
I keep seeing laws but I'm not exactly sure what the deal is or code section that applies to me. Would an apprenticeship school be illegal to carry at in the vehicle? Any code sections?

You've already been in the thread Inkdaddy began regarding SB 308. If you read far enough down, there is a section dealing with what's allowed on campuses. That's the best source I know. What Seabaugh and his co-sponsors were trying to do in that bill was simplify and clearly lay out as unambiguously as possible where a firearm could be carried. They wanted it to be easier for us lay folks to understand...Hope that helps....

Not sure if your "vocational school" follows the same rules as [FONT=&amp]Technical College System of Georgia[/FONT] but a question was asked on georgiapacking.org about having a gun in the car while at Middle Georgia Technical College and was referred to https://tcsg.edu/tcsgpolicy/docs/Firear ... licy_2.doc

7.Vehicle in Transit – an individual over the age of 21 who holds a validfirearms
permit or license to carry a concealed weapon may possess a weapon on their
person in his/her vehicle or may keep a weapon in a locked compartment of, in
a locked container in, or in a locked firearms rack in a motor vehicle when in
transit on technical college property.

8.Parked Vehicle – the driver of a vehicle parked on the property of anytechnical
college (including the personal vehicle of a student, System Office, or technical
college employee) may keep a firearm in his/her vehicle provided the weapon is
locked out of sight within the vehicle’s trunk, glove box, or other enclosed
compartment or areas within the vehicle. Note: this provision applies to those
drivers possessing a valid Georgia weapons carry license or who are otherwise
authorized by law to carry or possess a firearm/weapon.

Last edited:
^^
Yeah, I went through that whole 'locked in a container' deal with some members on GA Packing. I believe most were saying that just being in a locked vehicle was good enough, but I DID NOT see it that way. To me it reads: the gun needs to be locked in a 'container/glove box within the locked vehicle. Who is right? I don't know for sure.

...may keep a firearm in his/her vehicle provided the weapon is
locked out of sight within the vehicles trunk, glove box, or other enclosed
compartment or areas within the vehicle.
The way I read it, you can store it out of sight in a locked compartment inside the car and not necessarily lock the car or you can lock it up by locking the car.

I was trying to clarify this for my wife.

GCO got the law changed in 2008 with HB89 so that you can have a firearm in you vehicle without a GWL anywhere in the vehicle. You were still forbidden in a few locations.

Back
Top Bottom