Vehicle carry at vocational school?

MountainPass, I'm reading conflicting reports regarding whether or not you are required to have a GWL to keep the firearm in your vehicle on a school campus. Can you provide a link to the actual text that defines this. The reason I ask is I believe you can carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle pretty much anywhere in GA without a GWL; the school campus exception is news to me. If that's true, then it seems that a school campus is the only place in GA that you need a GWL to carry a firearm in your vehicle.

Can you point me to any clarifying text/info on this?

Thanks

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127.1
Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on school property

. . .
( c ) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:
. . .
( 7 ) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or a person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10 when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked at such school property or is in transit through a designated school zone;

( 8 ) A weapon possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school;
. . .

Yes, I read that as well. I suppose where I'm confused and maybe I'm just over analyzing this....I see that it is "Legal" for a license holder to have the firearm within the vehicle on school grounds, but I don't see where it is "illegal" for a non-license holder to do the same thing. The reason I say this is that GA law also says it is legal for a non-license holder to carry a firearm in the vehicle. So where does it criminalize a non-license holder for having it in a vehicle within the school safety zone? Maybe I've got this all wrong, but I thought the interior of the vehicle is typically considered "real property" of the owner and as such, if a non-license holder kept the firearm in the vehicle, then the firearm is not actually on school property. Like I said, maybe I've got this all wrong, but it's still not clear to me.

Yes, I read that as well. I suppose where I'm confused and maybe I'm just over analyzing this....I see that it is "Legal" for a license holder to have the firearm within the vehicle on school grounds, but I don't see where it is "illegal" for a non-license holder to do the same thing. The reason I say this is that GA law also says it is legal for a non-license holder to carry a firearm in the vehicle. So where does it criminalize a non-license holder for having it in a vehicle within the school safety zone? Maybe I've got this all wrong, but I thought the interior of the vehicle is typically considered "real property" of the owner and as such, if a non-license holder kept the firearm in the vehicle, then the firearm is not actually on school property. Like I said, maybe I've got this all wrong, but it's still not clear to me.

(b) (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (c) of this Code section, it shall be unlawful for any person to carry to or to possess or have under such person's control while within a school safety zone

(c) The provisions of this Code section shall not apply to:

(7) A person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10, when such person carries or picks up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school or a person who is licensed in accordance with Code Section 16-11-129 or issued a permit pursuant to Code Section 43-38-10 when he or she has any weapon legally kept within a vehicle when such vehicle is parked at such school property or is in transit through a designated school zone;

(8) A weapon possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or which is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle which is being used by an adult over 21 years of age to bring to or pick up a student at a school building, school function, or school property or on a bus or other transportation furnished by the school, or when such vehicle is used to transport someone to an activity being conducted on school property which has been authorized by a duly authorized official of the school; provided, however, that this exception shall not apply to a student attending such school;

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom