• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vietnam Shotgun Fun..

guess ole Eric has sealed his fate on ODT.
ysy7yvud.jpg

Hmmm, let me see, I put two different Medics on dust offs, which left me as Platoon Sgt to take over as Medic also, then I lost three men to a Booby trap a couple of days later, one lost half his head, then as we were attacking a wood line, a guy from another Company took a direct hit from a mortor round and disintergrated and splatter me with blood, body parts and brain tissue. Then we did an all night cross jungle march thru the Delta swamps to support another Company caught in an ambush which killed about twenty or so and I used my poncho to wrap one of the bodies, because we didn't have any body bags, then on the night of Feb 20th 1968 after surviving most of the TET got hit by two Companies of NVA and took two bullet wounds and as I was still standing Commanding my Platoon took a direct hit from a 122mm Rocket round which almost blew my left leg & Arm off and sent me to Walter Reed for almost a Year. Yep, it was fun & Games, would I go back?, Hmmmmm yep, I guess I would, you're never more alive than on the Day you might die. That and I miss all them crazy Grunts who would share their last can of C Rats with you :hungry:

If he thinks Vietnam was fun, I'm sure he would have crapped his pants with glee if he was one of the soldiers liberating a death camp in WW2. My father and grandfather both served, and both lost good men. To call war "fun" shows cluelessness at best, and callousness at worst.

Oh, will you people calm down?? Take the OP's post in context. Those dudes were engaged in recreational drug use, grinning, and having a good ol' time.

Certainly there were some fun times, back at the base, when no offensive or defensive action was going on or even anticipated.
Don't be a bunch of drama queens. Yeah, we know that at OTHER TIMES, these same people experienced horror and terror and sadness, etc.
The OP's comment is not about those times.

During WWI, for the first Christmas the troops themselves (not their generals!) declared a Christmas truce and played soccer and exchanged gifts. That was fun.

My dad was a WWII pilot. When he wasn't shooting things or being shot it, but was just flying recon missions or doing message drops, he had FUN. Sometimes he'd swoop down low and buzz the fields or fly through canyons and do a barrel roll-- just for FUN.

I've seen pictures of U.S. soldiers in Iraq and Kuwait in 1991, playing like little kids in the sand, throwing little parachutes in the air (leftover from used flares?) and catching them as they came floating down again.

FUN.
It exists in a lot of places, even during trying times.

I remember reading an article in Soldier of Fortune magazine, about 10-15 years ago, by a Vietnam veteran, who said that he really enjoyed his Vietnam experience because he was a gun and weapons buff and by being over there he got to shoot all kinds of stuff that he'd never get to use as an American civilian. He enjoyed shooting M16s and AK's, and tossing grenades (I assume he means in practice, not in the heat of combat). He went out of his way to make sure he got to try out RPGs and recoilless rifles and other big anti-armor weapons. He loved it.

Even the weapons he didn't fire personally-- he said he enjoyed watching them work. Seeing cluster-bombs pepper the side of a hill where the enemy was believed to be.
Watching artillery shoot, and the big guns shake the ground and blow leaves off the trees around the fire base.

He said in the article that he knows it will sound bad for him to say he enjoyed much of his time over there, but that aspect of it was very pleasing to him, and that's just how it was (for him) -- he's not going to hide it or lie about his feelings or water his story down for SOF readers' sensibilities.

Again, this was written by a combat vet of Vietnam.

Oh, will you people calm down?? Take the OP's post in context. Those dudes were engaged in recreational drug use, grinning, and having a good ol' time.

Certainly there were some fun times, back at the base, when no offensive or defensive action was going on or even anticipated.
Don't be a bunch of drama queens. Yeah, we know that at OTHER TIMES, these same people experienced horror and terror and sadness, etc.
The OP's comment is not about those times.

During WWI, for the first Christmas the troops themselves (not their generals!) declared a Christmas truce and played soccer and exchanged gifts. That was fun.

My dad was a WWII pilot. When he wasn't shooting things or being shot it, but was just flying recon missions or doing message drops, he had FUN. Sometimes he'd swoop down low and buzz the fields or fly through canyons and do a barrel roll-- just for FUN.

I've seen pictures of U.S. soldiers in Iraq and Kuwait in 1991, playing like little kids in the sand, throwing little parachutes in the air (leftover from used flares?) and catching them as they came floating down again.

FUN.
It exists in a lot of places, even during trying times.
Were you there? I wasn't. Despite that, I'm smart enough to know war is hell, period (soccer games notwithstanding). If those that saw the unspeakable horrors choose to "make light" of it in anyway amongst themselves, they've earned that right and then some. Until then, as someone who hasn't, I'll damn sure not be so presumptuous as to take that liberty myself.

Back
Top Bottom