• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vietnam Shotgun Fun..

Had a boss who was a Marine in Vietnam, he told me a story about going through SERE training. The squad was sitting around the hooch they'd set up, after two days with no food and almost no sleep. They were hungry, tired, and dispirited. All of the sudden, this chicken wanders out between them. Everyone freezes, nobody wants to move a muscle and scare it off. One by one, each soldier sloooowly reaches for his bayonet, machete, a rock, a stick, whatever he can grab hold of. Almost as if on cue, they all go for the chicken at the same time.... In the ensuing scuffle, the chicken made a miraculous escape.

I served 1963 to 69 and somehow managed to avoid VN.
My friends and family wasn't so lucky.
I do remember being told not to wear your uniforms at airports, bus stations, and train depots.
To HELL with all the Hanoi Jane's past and present.
God bless all veterans, especially the Vietnam Vet.

the first post could be reworded some, we still have quite a few vietnam veterans on the forum

the united states soldiers over there at the time used any way they could to escape or relax from the situation they were in, the marijuana was just a way to momentarily not think about it

One last thing I think is confusing to you Eric. Drug use was rampant in Vietnam. It wasn't just marijuana. Southeast Asia has it all and it was all available for the right price. Marijuana wasn't only used for momentary stress relief and relaxing with your friends, kicking back listening to music. Drugs ruined lots of lives of young men who were never exposed to anything like that back in the world. Your video showed troops in the bush getting stoned when they should have been most vigilant. It was in your face. Imagine walking point with that behind you. Imagine being the platoon leader and telling that squad it was time to move out.
Besides addiction you risked disciplinary action from Article 15's to Court Martial, dishonorable discharge to murder. They had several incidents of what became popularly known as "fragging". It was a confusing time for sure.
If you woulda asked if we had any fun over there, I think everyone would have agreed. It was a different kind of fun. I think the hardest I've ever laughed in my life was watching 4 guys trying to throw a spider monkey with a flare parachute tied to a harness out the back of a slick. Or 8 of us swimming in a river and throwing concussion grenades in the water around us catching fish for mama-san on the bank. You have questions, just ask.

Ok ok the wording is wrong. I know Vietnam was complete hell! I meant no disrespect to anyone that served in the horrific conflict or any for that matter. I have all the respect in the world for those who serve our great nation.

However, I did find it interesting that soldiers were smoking marijuana from an actual shotgun barrel. I'm sure it was used as an escape from the horrific conditions the men faced.

I do apologize. please accept my sincere apology!
Ok. The guy stepped up and owned his screw up. Not very well thought out but he's fessin' up ! I did 23 months in that hell . 10 by my own choice. Drug use was every where . I know some of us have posted stupid things at one time or another . It was easier to get heroin than a cold soda !

the first post could be reworded some, we still have quite a few vietnam veterans on the forum

the united states soldiers over there at the time used any way they could to escape or relax from the situation they were in, the marijuana was just a way to momentarily not think about it
I
The problem is that a lot of the time the REMF's pulling berm guard would get stoned on duty. Every night I was on a fire base out of the field I walked the berm looking for these idiots. Not pleasant for them when I found them

Back
Top Bottom