• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vortex Razor HD LH vs Leupold VX-6

Hunley

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
21   0
Reaction score
I'm debating these two scopes in 2-10x40 and 2-12x42, respectively. Either one would work for my needs in a set-it-and-forget-it .308 for use out to, at most, 300 yards. I'm mainly worried about optical quality.

These are, aside from the obvious differences (1" vs 30mm, 10x vs 12x, available illumination), identical on paper. Field of view at minimum and maximum magnification, eye relief, etc. are all the same. I just can't find BOTH of them ANYWHERE. Particularly, I can't find the Vortex locally. Even if I could, I'd be buying direct from Vortex.

Does anyone have experience withe the Vortex option? That's what I'm leaning towards. The glass on the VX6 doesn't blow me away (especially for the price), and the bells and whistles aren't necessary. Illumination would be nice, but not necessary. I'm also worried that the VX6 is being replaced with a scope with better glass that runs 500 more.

Anyone have experience with the Vortex? Both?

I've had experiences with both. I recommend the Vortex Razor over anything Leupold is marketing.

Can you comment on the clarity of the glass between these two? As I said, to my eyes, there isn't a lot of difference between the VX6 and the VX3. Is the Vortex clearer? Better contrast in lower light?

Can you comment on the clarity of the glass between these two? As I said, to my eyes, there isn't a lot of difference between the VX6 and the VX3. Is the Vortex clearer? Better contrast in lower light?

The Vortex Razor has better glass than anything Leupold has on the market, including the Mk6 and Mk8 lines.

The Vortex Razor has better glass than anything Leupold has on the market, including the Mk6 and Mk8 lines.
Actually got to participate in some resolution tests this week with a Leupold Mark 6, a Razor 4.5-27 and a EOTech Vudu 3.5-18. You are 100% correct and its not even close. The bar/line test showed the Razor to be 4 to 5 "grades" better than the Leupold in resolving the bars with my eyes. The Razor was 0-1 grade better than the Vudu, which is not bad considering it has an extra 6mm of objective diameter over the Vudu. It was eye opening how much worse the Mark 6 was compared to the other two scopes. There was no Mark 8 available but interestingly enough it was said by a well respected optic engineer that the MK8 1.1-8 scores higher in a resolution test than any other scope....

Actually got to participate in some resolution tests this week with a Leupold Mark 6, a Razor 4.5-27 and a EOTech Vudu 3.5-18. You are 100% correct and its not even close. The bar/line test showed the Razor to be 4 to 5 "grades" better than the Leupold in resolving the bars with my eyes. The Razor was 0-1 grade better than the Vudu, which is not bad considering it has an extra 6mm of objective diameter over the Vudu. It was eye opening how much worse the Mark 6 was compared to the other two scopes. There was no Mark 8 available but interestingly enough it was said by a well respected optic engineer that the MK8 1.1-8 scores higher in a resolution test than any other scope....

That's surprising... I'll be purchasing the Razor HD LH. I'll have to let you guys know how it is. There isn't a whole lot out there on the LH line in terms of reviews. That's what has held me back.

Back
Top Bottom