• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wanting an older point ignition vehicle.

The first gen Mitsubishi Montero/Dodge Raider might be in your strike zone.

Tough, simple, two and four door versions, proper 4WD and manual transmissions.

iu

iu

Just traded out of an old IDI dually. Way to heavy, and big, I’m thing daily driver with “what if” capabilities.

If you plan on doing a full restore, then almost any vehicle will work - just swap in an engine with points and condenser ignition. You could also buy a gas vehicle and drop in a mechanical diesel - be aware of possible runaway!

I'm revisiting this thread as I think I missed the point in m first reply. I was thinking in terms of carbureted vs injection, not points vs electronic ignition. I think the way to go is a standard distributor that can be upgraded with an electronic ignition module for best performance, but can be easily swapped back to points in an emergency situation.

Regardless, here's another candidate, a 1977 Scout 2. A good all purpose vehicle with a longer wheelbase and storage space.

Scout listing

1704852919905.png

Ford and GM basically started using PCM type control around early 1980's. There are some high end Caddy's and Buicks that had experimental stuff earlier, but you could find what you are looking for starting w/basic GM and Ford pre 1980 vehicles... European cars are scattered all over, some started in the mid to early 1970's so you would have to pick one out individually. Or you can build your own by finding a popular GM or ford engine vehicle , ripping out the EFI, replacing it with available old school carb and ignition. Lots of Camaros and Corvettes small blocks (350's) that have been converted to carb/distributers. If it over 25 years old it's exempt from inspection in GA.

I’ve got two hand pumps and a little fuel stored. In a true SHTF scenario, there will be plenty of fuel stored in tanks.
Gotta think out of the wal mart box.
Your gonna have to have a long hose to get fuel out of storage tanks not to mention cutting the locks.

I get thought. I plan on using my diesel tractors.

Back
Top Bottom