Water

darrenmd

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I posted this as a comment, but haven't seen an answer. With all the prep for SHTF, I see numerous stored dried items, beans, rice, dehydrated fruits, etc.... These require a lot of water over time to cook or hydrate.... How much water are you storing? How are you storing it?

40,000+ gallons right outside my back door. I treat it with chlorine and filter it through a sand filter twice a day. Other than that we have a garden spike with a hand pump in the back yard.

Ahhhh... now that is what I wanted to ask about.... a garden spike... a well hand pump ? Did you have this installed? What are the laws for where you can get these installed?

I have a fresh /bottled supply for a comfortable 30 or a rationed 45 days... water can be found in a lot of places

1. toilet tanks
2. water heater (mine holds 80 gallons)
3. if no water pressure, open lowest spigget or valve with a bucket under it and then open the highest ones to drain the water in the pipes to the lowest level
4. condesation traps work well and are easy to construct
5. dishwashers usually hold a decent amount of water in the pipes under them that
6. if no power, put your ice maker ice in a cooler to melt
7. drain water hose from refriderator
8. collect frozen water of condenser coil in freezer as it melts.
9. Given that power is out as well...any frozen foods that will have to be cooked will produce condensation as they thaw, collected in drip pan

Plenty more sources for initial survival until you can scout a new source. All water sources should be treated and filtered of course

I have a fresh /bottled supply for a comfortable 30 or a rationed 45 days... water can be found in a lot of places

1. toilet tanks
2. water heater (mine holds 80 gallons)
3. if no water pressure, open lowest spigget or valve with a bucket under it and then open the highest ones to drain the water in the pipes to the lowest level
4. condesation traps work well and are easy to construct
5. dishwashers usually hold a decent amount of water in the pipes under them that
6. if no power, put your ice maker ice in a cooler to melt
7. drain water hose from refriderator
8. collect frozen water of condenser coil in freezer as it melts.
9. Given that power is out as well...any frozen foods that will have to be cooked will produce condensation as they thaw, collected in drip pan

Plenty more sources for initial survival until you can scout a new source. All water sources should be treated and filtered of course

I agree with this for a short term.... I am thinking if things last longer than a few months....

This is a hand pump well correct?
It has an electric pump on it, however it can be removed and replaced with a hand pump in a matter of minutes. I'm from New Mexico where we all put these in our yards to water our grass. Installed one here out of habit. Don't really have a use for it.

I agree with this for a short term.... I am thinking if things last longer than a few months....

how long a term? All you really need to do is outlast the majority of people around you and then have access to their supplies (so long as they do not know about the above ways to find water in your own home)

rain collection (if it rains)... these methods could be used to collect water from neighboring houses and many people A. will not know about it, B. try to find water elsewhere and abandon their homes or C. die off leaving water for you!

other than that... I would ultimately plan to move closer to a large water source... inherent risks and threats be damned.

Back
Top Bottom