Water

It has an electric pump on it, however it can be removed and replaced with a hand pump in a matter of minutes. I'm from New Mexico where we all put these in our yards to water our grass. Installed one here out of habit. Don't really have a use for it.

I just wanted to make sure we are talking about the same thing..... You have a well, so you had to install a small diameter pipe in the ground into some sort of water source..... then the hand pump allows you to pump the water to the surface? How did you install the pipe into the the underground water source yourself? Did you just keep drilling until you hit water?

good points 07.

For purified water, Aldi has cases of 24 20oz bottles for $2.29. I've bought a few. It comes in handy for a few needs like irrigation of wounds. It's not sterile, but purified. Still better than flushing wounds with a camelbak or tap water. A simple trick is to stick a nail or knife blade in the cap to make it a squeeze bottle.

I'm off to look up garden spike. We're about to get a couple cows and will need a well for watering them.

My google foo comes up with metal stakes when I look up garden spike... Is it a well if so how did you install it your self?
It's just a spike you drive into the ground just like you do a metal fence post. You add sections of pipe and keep driving until you get enough water. Normally you can hit water within 10 feet or so, but you have to go further to get enough water to pump. Mine is 16 foot.

Last edited:
how long a term? All you really need to do is outlast the majority of people around you and then have access to their supplies (so long as they do not know about the above ways to find water in your own home)

rain collection (if it rains)... these methods could be used to collect water from neighboring houses and many people A. will not know about it, B. try to find water elsewhere and abandon their homes or C. die off leaving water for you!

other than that... I would ultimately plan to move closer to a large water source... inherent risks and threats be damned.

True again..... I was thinking out pass 6 months..... You make a good point, most will be leaving their homes to get to those areas where there is more water..... that is not where I want to go..... I rather be clear of the masses.....

I just wanted to make sure we are talking about the same thing..... You have a well, so you had to install a small diameter pipe in the ground into some sort of water source..... then the hand pump allows you to pump the water to the surface? How did you install the pipe into the the underground water source yourself? Did you just keep drilling until you hit water?
See above.

It's just a spike you drive into the ground just like you do a metal fence post. You add sections of pipe and keep driving until you get enough water. Normally you can hit water within 10 feet or so, but you have to go further to get enough water to pump. I think mine is 40 feet. Don't really remember how many sections of pipe I used.

Do you have a brand you can give us... I googled this as some others and didn't come up with such a device.....

True again..... I was thinking out pass 6 months..... You make a good point, most will be leaving their homes to get to those areas where there is more water..... that is not where I want to go..... I rather be clear of the masses.....
Here in Georgia almost every house has 20k+ gallons of water in the back yard in swimming pools and nobody ever thinks about it. A swimming pool is an awesome discrete way to store large amounts of water.

Here in Georgia almost every house has 20k+ gallons of water in the back yard in swimming pools and nobody ever thinks about it. A swimming pool is an awesome discrete way to store large amounts of water.

on the flip side... once folks get desperate for water... it is not so discrete. At some point someone is going to say "I need ****ing water... that guy has a pool"

Being a necessity for life, a pool could paint you as a target too

or if... you like eating people... it would be like hunting deer over corn:)

Do you have a brand you can give us... I googled this as some others and didn't come up with such a device.....
I'll have to look. I brought the spike with me from New Mexico. They sell them in every hardware store out there for about 35 bucks. Garden spike may not be the real name. I'll see what I can dig up

Back
Top Bottom