Water

I live in the country and have a well, so my plan is to run a small generator for a few minutes every couple days to run my well pump. Once the tank is full, shut down. I figure I can do this for quite some time on a single tank of fuel. I also keep several gas cans handy, not to mention all the fuel stored in my vehicles and toys. Other than that, we have a spring fed pond about 300 yards from the house that never runs out of water. It's not the cleanest and best smelling pond, but will do in an emergency.

i wnated to jump in on this.. im new to the site and found this thread.. neighbors houses would be great .. but in my case im in a rural area and everyone on our "dead end" street has guns and most likely would want to try and hunker down.. what would you do in a case like that

Form a community. Sounds like a great bunch to prep and bug in with. Stock what you can for your family and for barter, network with the neighbors and specialize to meet needs they are not specialized in.

I follwed a few dead ends and found "sand spike water well".

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2949&mid=16851

Interesting idea. Might even work for me but I also have to be concerned with septic tank runoff. Nothing like eCholi or Hepatitus from drinking water contaminated by septic overflow.

Ground water is usually pretty well filtered due to percfolation. Rainwater and runoff "percolate" through the dirt, sand and rock of the top soil to reach the aquifer. That's the level you should be pulling from with a well. These sand spike wells are shallow and not really into the deeper aquifer which is why they take longer to "recharge". They also take much less energy to pump from when they have water to pump.

With septic runoff, think of a tear drop shape. From the uphill side of the tank, consider that the point of the drop and downill, the fat part. The contamination should be closest to the tank at the top and fan out down the hill. Do NOT forget the neighbors may have septic tanks too. My sub-division is a tiered hill with the next door in one direction uphill and the other downhill. And we all know what rolls downhill...

For me to hope to use any kind of well safely I would have to go into the woods behind the house(uphill) 20-40 yards. Not sure how far down I'd have to go from there to hit the aquifer.

Even groundwater has harmful possibilities. Mainly with groundwater you have mineral concentrations making it hard. Lime and calcium can cause kidney stones. Water from wells has no nbatural resistance to bacteria or fungus so if it is stored at all(even just in the pipe from the well) it can develope mold, mildew and any form of bacteria that comes in contact with it(echoli, giardia, salmonella, you name it) will thrive in it. Treating it wil chlorine, heat or UV(long enough exposure to sunlight will do) will make it safe to drink. Not all needs to be potable but what you mean to drink MUST be made safe.

Back
Top Bottom