• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s the absolute best 1” hunting scope (no price limit)

I saw that. Anyone have experience with the Z3 vs the VX-3HD? Should I drop $785 on the Z3 or I can get a Z5 for $1200 or so?

Or skip both, go 30mm, new rings, etc. and have a $2k optic setup on a $800 rifle. 😅
My favorite hunting scope is a Z3. If I lived in Wyoming, maybe I'd want more. It's about perfect for GA, in my opinion. I'll put a SWFA Ultra Light on my next project, but I'll grab a Z3 with a #4 reticle if I'm not happy with it. I absolutely don't need more, which makes it among the best for my needs.

PS - On a rifle like the Ruger, I'd probably stick with the Leupold honestly.

IOR Valdada scopes are made with "Schott" glass, same as in Zeiss, and other high-end scopes for about 1/3 rd the cost. I prefer a fixed power scope.
All grades of glass aren't the same, and there's a lot more that goes into an optic than lenses. Putting a Hellcat sticker on a Prius doesn't make it a Hellcat.

Just some unsolicited experience, I use 8X Zen-Ray (out of business) binoculars to identify my game in low light. You can see so much better than any rifle scope at any price, identify if it is a quality deer you want to take, then switch over to the scope and make the shot. Unless you're trying to quickly identify and make a snap shot, like a narrow food plot or shooting lane, then binoculars are far superior for low light situations.

I'm a 30mm tube guy now. The weight difference between 1" and 30mm is negligible now. I have several VX5HD Leupolds, and they've been spectacular. I've had Nightforce, and they're great but heavy IMO. I've gone through a few Zeiss as well, but I haven't been impressed with their last few generations.

Back
Top Bottom