• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s the worst accidental discharge you have seen!

https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/...her-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/
This made me think of this story from 2011 when a worn-out Galco holster got into the trigger guard and manipulated the trigger.
I guess anything possible. But as I started earlier. If you take extreme care holstering, then that still wouldn’t happen. Which is how we instruct and train. Very slow movements, make sure the holster is clear of any instructions, then gently guide the gun into the holster while looking at what you’re doing.

Never had a ND myself, but I thought I had taught my eldest son better. He dropped the hammer on a .410 pump right behind my feet. Scared the crap out of my youngest and myself.

A Private (PVT) medic on a 9mm qual range drawing from holster to presentation to target put a round in his thigh....

Ooooouch.... Soldier did not take PMI’s seriously or did not pay attention during PMI’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ND'd twice. I was dry firing my P320, must have cracked the slide and then dropped the mag. I was practice draw drills in my basement aiming at the wall. Sure enough, pulled the trigger and blew a 9mm through the wall, my ears are still ringing.

Worst AD I`ve seen was done by me. Benjamin pump-up pellet rifle. Winter of the 8th grade. In the woods a long way from home. Swung it down, decocking with my thumb, finger on trigger. Thumb slipped. Shot my right foot. Went through rubber boot, leather shoe, two pairs of socks. felt like a big rock fell on my foot. Projectile went into bone, turned, travelled through the marrow about four inches. I packed wet leaves on it to "stop the bleeding". Don`t think it worked. I think I learned this from "Wagon Train". When I walked into town, I knocked on a door and a nice man drove me home. Dad took me to the ER. The resident sawbones on duty gave me a shot in my foot, cut into the foot, and then tried to split the bone. I screamed bloody murder. Dad came in, stopped the sawbones, and made them call a surgeon off the golf course. Next, the dude giving me ether dropped it in my eyes. More screams of bloody murder. Woke up puking. Some days it don`t pay to get outa bed. I was on crutches for eight weeks. Lesson learned.

Funniest one I’ve seen, we had a new rookie cop on the local force. Smartass with attitude. He came into a local bar on a call, had unsnapped the retention strap on his holster before exiting his car. Apparently when he exited the vehicle, the hammer on his revolver caught on the steering wheel and went to full cock.
As he stood inside with his arms crossed glaring at everyone, the gun fired. Bullet missed him and everyone else, but I’m pretty sure he had to go change underwear.
Local legend has it that someone noticed the gun’s condition and snuck up behind him and pulled the trigger.

Had a close one with my dad. I was going into my safe and was trying to get to a gun in the back. I keep a couple up front with mags in them, but not charged. As i am unstacking my Dad who is retired army picks one up with a mag in it, pulls back the charging handle, checks to make sure the chamber is clear, and drops the charging handle. I look up at hearing the bolt go forward and see him pointing it towards the wall to the garage with his finger on the trigger about to ops check it, and gave a authoritative but as calm as i can muster “stop” command. Dad is visibly confused and swears he checked the chamber and that it was clear. I agree, calmly take the rifle, drop the mag, and pop a green tip from the chamber. Never seen that man turn white before (dad is retired eod, not sure anything scares him). I blame myself for not paying closer attention but my sop is to keep at least one rifle with a magazine ready. It could have been worse.

I had an AD with. Bn-36 30.06 that slam fired at the range when i dropped the bolt using the mag cutoff. Scared the **** out of me, but thankfully was pointing downrange albeit a bit high.

Worst I have seen first hand, I actually did. I was 17 ( back in the early 90's ), out shooting an old shotgun I had...I don't even remember the model...Mossberg I think,,,, anyway, I had it loaded up, ready to rock some clays and couldn't get the safety off.... it froze up for some reason.. Instead of being smart, telling my dad and unloading and inspecting/cleaning/repairing, I propped the thing in a semi carrying position, barrel down, and tapped the safety with a the butt end of my pocket knife,,, thing went off on me.. thank god it was muzzle down.. took 2 pieces of bird shot in my boot, right next to my little toe, and blew a small chunk off the sole of my boot.... I think a wad of my jacket got into the trigger some how, really not sure... Anyway, not only did I get my ass beat by my dad, and a ribbing that has lasted for years..... I also gained a new found respect for firearm safety that day that has stayed with me through the years...

Back
Top Bottom