• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s the worst accidental discharge you have seen!

I've got two good ones!

Took my father on his first waterfowl hunting trip (snow goose conservation)..he is not much of a hunter or a gun guy. I found a great deal on a Super Vinci and picked it up for him, it was a right handed gun and he is left handed... (my fault). Couple days into the hunt and he is struggling to keep up, if you have hunted waterfowl you will understand.. its fast and over in a hurry, the birds come in slow but they leave with a quickness after the first shot is fired. I went over gun safety and hunting safety 100x's before the shoot and even practiced at my house with clay pigeons. He was still struggling with the right handed controls. Birds had just come in and left, so i stood up in my lay out blind to stretch my legs and my pops stayed sitting down in his with the gun pointed to the sky. He started explaining to me why he was struggling and frustrated, put his finger on the trigger and BOOM! Gun barrel was about a foot away from my head pointing in the sky... rang my ears to hell! I said some choice ****** words to him about gun safety and keeping his ******* finger off the trigger. Took the Benelli from him and gave him a Mossberg pump with the safety on top. Scarred the hell out of both us...Funny part was when I got done giving him an ear full.. he had the shotgun sitting in between his legs with a 3.5" duck shell in it that gave his nuts a good thump.

2nd- Much shorter story... I USE TO keep a pump 12ga tucked under my bed loaded... Never moved and was always in the same spot. I have big dogs (mastiffs) and they like to sneak up onto the bed in the middle of the night. Big guy goes to ease up on my bed and his nail ( i can only assume) catches the trigger on my 12ga and blows a hole through my wall/baseboard at 2am. Talk about a scary wake up! Checked my wife, myself, and then the dogs once over for holes... then changed my boxers

I am pretty sure his finger was clear. I believe it was his shirt that pressed the trigger. It was a less than 2 pound trigger so it is possible anything hit it.
Oh yeah that could happen too. I thought you implied that the holster pulled the trigger. Shirts getting caught in between the gun and the holster are more common than one would think. Definitely take your time holstering and make sure the holster is clear (not directed at you specifically). Holstering is literally the slowest and most delicate process in firearm handling, for me at least.

Oh yeah that could happen too. I thought you implied that the holster pulled the trigger. Shirts getting caught in between the gun and the holster are more common than one would think. Definitely take your time holstering and make sure the holster is clear (not directed at you specifically). Holstering is literally the slowest and most delicate process in firearm handling, for me at least.
https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/...her-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/
This made me think of this story from 2011 when a worn-out Galco holster got into the trigger guard and manipulated the trigger.

AFG 2017, KAF, an MI E5 in our EN BN, had one of those old school, detective holsters that you wear under your arm. He was doing something with his pistol in the TOC. He was adjusting while still in the holster. The pistol discharged and hit an MI contractor in the thigh. I didn’t see the E5 after that incident. 82nd BTW, “the most high speed, squared away division next to the rangers.” :crazy:

I watched a guy shoot his truck from inside the cab. For some reason, he chambered a round in the Marlin 336,
and tried to ease the hammer down. It was dark a.m. I was walking away from the truck, thank god. I turned to look for him and there was a giant orange flash accompanied by a BOOM. Smoke was pouring from the cab as he backed away from the concussion. There was an obvious bullet hole in the passenger side corner panel.
I hunt with a select group these days.

2nd best Negligent Discharge on screen.

99DCC45E-7E6B-4EDD-AD47-A24BA8EA817E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom