• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s the worst accidental discharge you have seen!

35-ish years ago I was in the process of putting away my guns and gear and had already double confirmed my Ruger 10/22 was fully unloaded.
At that point my friend reminded me we haven't shot any CCI Stingers yet,
and we had planned to test a Stinger round (advertised muzzle velocity of 1600 ft./s !) by shooting an aluminum drink can full of creek water.

So I loaded three CCI stingers in the gun while my buddy searched for some empty cans along the creek bank.
He found one, and we filled it up and set it on a mound of dirt on the bank of the creek.

I put the magazine in, stepped back about 15 yards, chambered the round,
took aim, and popped that can dead center.
It split wide open and made an impressive geyser of water.

Then, heat took the dripping Ken back to our vehicle for garbage disposal well I walked back to the trunk to put the rifle away I drop the magazine from it and totally forgetting about the round in the chamber because I'd forgotten that I had loaded three rounds but only fired one.

I pointed the rifle barrel just a few feet away from my own feet towards the ground and I pulled the trigger, expecting to hear a "click."

Right at that moment my friend, who had tossed the shredded can on the floorboard of the passenger side of the car, had walked back towards me by the trunk.
My rifle fired and put a bullet in the sandy soil about 2 ft. in front of his toes.

Meh, it was a .22WMR.... Anything less than a .40S&W isn't really all that lethal... just ask anyone... ;-)

Was working on a 2018 F350 crew cab truck. Went to open front passenger door and saw a nice 9mm hole centered in the sheet metal. It was an exit hole.

When owner picked it up, I had to ask.
He said he was showing his new glock to his buddy and how easy it was to field strip it. Yup, gotta pull the trigger first.

Buddy was missed "by that much".

Ha. That reminds me of a time I was helping my friend out on a job. As we were walking up I shouted "hey guys, look at this!" and started fingering an exit hole in a van in the driveway.

"You think that's a bullet hole" my buddy asked. I informed him that it was in fact a 12 gauge slug hole.

After chumming it up with another guy inside the job site I asked if he fired a slug through his passenger door. Sure as **** it was a 12ga slug.

He gave a story about a road rage incident where he fired at another driver. I didn't really buy it, but I guess he thought it sounded cool?

I had one a few months ago that involved a trigger swap from my CZ P10C to my P10F.

I had a cajun trigger with the adjustable reset screw in my P10C and swapped it over to my F model. My mistake was not making sure the trigger safety was engaging on the frame though it did on the p10C.

P10's will automatically drop the slide if you slam in a full mag which was a feature I liked at first.

So without the trigger safety engaged I slammed a full mag in, auto dropping the slide and it immediately fired a round through my bedroom window and thankfully into a wooded area.

After the smoke cleared and I realized what happened I noticed my finger was not on the trigger. I did manage to replicate it with some snapcaps afterwards to make sure I didn't pull the trigger.

A couple of turns on the trigger reset screw fixed the problem but my ego is forever shattered and I have a window to replace..

Buddy of kkine was a Jones Co Sherrif back around 95. Christmas night we were illegally shooting in the city limits of Byron at my house. Of course we were drinking but also doing scientific stuff like shooting stacks of wet newspaper and digging out the bullet. So when we went inside for more beer and to dodge the Byron PD headed down the street I handed his department issued Smith 9mm back to him so I could grab 2 more beers. Soon as I opened the fridge I heard the pop and my ears rang for a long time. Looked behind me and he had this shocked look on his face . So I Looked up and saw a hole in the kitchen cieling. It was well within the area of where the back of my head had just been. I take most of the blame for handing him a loaded chambered pistol. Not to mention the drinking part.

I'm not going to give specifics here but....early 70's, had been on WESTPAC cruise for what seemed to be an extended period of time (remember, I was 19 or 20). Arrive Subic Bay...liberty...accidental discharge...second attempt was better...additional $15.00.

Used to hear someone yell "Test Fire" on the ranges in the Army all the time. Too bad it was after the weapon fired.

Disqualified a tank crew for ND of a 120mm sabot round into a defensive berm. They were not even clear to go "hot" as another tank was still down range.

Watched a 249 saw gunner ND/runaway gun a 200rd belt into and through the floor of his unarmored HMMWV. His PSG promptly got out of the front seat, opened the back door, asked if the Gunner was OK, then drug him out and beat the sense out of him.

I could go on for hours...

Back
Top Bottom