• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What’s the worst accidental discharge you have seen!

A friend was shooting my Makarov on my private range. He thought he ran it dry due to the way the slide would look. Turns to me finger still on the trigger and puts one in the ground about a foot from where I was standing. I had just warned him that sometimes the slide will look like it is locked back but it is not, scared him more then me or my ex wife. I did not a ask her m to come shoot again.

second one no ND but could have been a coworker asked about a gun I was selling I said sure they could look at it. I always clear any gun I am not carrying, I don’t trust people, first thing he does is pull the trigger with out even checking the gun. I thought this moron just muzzled me and dropped the hammer with out checking the firearm. Never offered to sale him anything else

Ill start with a bad one that is 2nd hand. Friend was out hunting with a group that included 2 young brothers. I believe they were late teenage or early 20's. If I remember correctly the boys were hustling through the woods and 1 tripped and fell, shotgun underneath him. Gun went off and there wasn't much to be done.

On a stupider and luckily more light-hearted note, I have a relative that's been the recipient of 3 bonehead awards for ND. I suppose technically only 1 was ND the other 2 were just SD (Stupid Discharges). Needless to say I don't go hunting with him.

First one starts with drinking and ends with him pulling over on a country road so his buddy can take a leak. Ends with him firing out the window to scare his buddy, only the window wasn't open.

2nd, hes in the back of a Tacoma in the woods spies a turkey. Goes to take a pretty close shot with a scoped rifle and fails to take in to account how close he is to the Tailgate and put s a hole in it.

3rd and the only true ND, in the same Tacoma (not his). The owner of the Tacoma had borrowed his rifle and failed to clear the chamber before putting it back in the truck. Still a little fuzzy on how exactly but my relative somehow managed to shoot a hole through the floorboard of the truck and through the brake line, leaving them stranded in the woods for a while.

Ill start with a bad one that is 2nd hand. Friend was out hunting with a group that included 2 young brothers. I believe they were late teenage or early 20's. If I remember correctly the boys were hustling through the woods and 1 tripped and fell, shotgun underneath him. Gun went off and there wasn't much to be done.

On a stupider and luckily more light-hearted note, I have a relative that's been the recipient of 3 bonehead awards for ND. I suppose technically only 1 was ND the other 2 were just SD (Stupid Discharges). Needless to say I don't go hunting with him.

First one starts with drinking and ends with him pulling over on a country road so his buddy can take a leak. Ends with him firing out the window to scare his buddy, only the window wasn't open.

2nd, hes in the back of a Tacoma in the woods spies a turkey. Goes to take a pretty close shot with a scoped rifle and fails to take in to account how close he is to the Tailgate and put s a hole in it.

3rd and the only true ND, in the same Tacoma (not his). The owner of the Tacoma had borrowed his rifle and failed to clear the chamber before putting it back in the truck. Still a little fuzzy on how exactly but my relative somehow managed to shoot a hole through the floorboard of the truck and through the brake line, leaving them stranded in the woods for a while.
Your story #3 reminded me of one similar.
Back in the early 2000s when prairie dog hunting out west was at its peak, my uncle and a friend were shooting at a dog town using the front hood as a rest. After switching guns, my uncle forget to account for the new scope height vs barrel height and sent a round perfectly over the hood just enough to make a straight line through the paint. It cost about $800 to fix.

I've seen a few different videos where
guys shoot rifles across parked vehicles
and forget that their scope or their sights are sitting a few inches higher
than the center of the bore.
So they shoot holes thu, or at least leave creases in,
these body panels!

B3C5B8C4-3603-47B7-AEA0-5D83E1E0F9A4.jpeg
74618253-0D68-4570-8D34-01EB6AE7B3B9.jpeg
F63399EC-B42F-4D78-9C78-FBDD81B0A41D.jpeg

I've seen three. The first was 40 years ago, a friend showing an old Colt 38 pistol to guy. The pistol discharged and hit my friend's 4 year old grandson in the face. Fortunately the bullet only glanced his cheek. He talked to us all the way to the hospital and still wears a decent scar. Number two was a caused by a reworked 38 revolver. The owner picked it up, cocked it and the hammer fell. Hit him dead center in the left hand. He lost some use and nearly bled to death before we could stop the bleeding. The trigger had been "reworked" by some guy and the police said every time it was cocked, the hammer would drop when it was picked up. The third and hopefully the last one I ever see was in Bosnia. The Army had some contract Serbian security guards on post and they were issued the standard 9mm pistol. This guard was walking toward the dining facility and decided to take a short cut. He walked over to a retaining wall and jumped off. Just before he jumped, he grabbed the pistol to make sure it didn't fall out of the holster. Bad move on his part because when he hit the ground, he pulled the trigger. He was in a crouching position and the bullet went though the calf of his leg and then through the heel of his foot.

I should say I've seen another but it was just scary and then funny. Basic training, Fort Polk, LA 1972. Every platoon had at least one kid who really should not have been there. Our's was a kid from New Orleans. We were on the range, in fox holes and the firing line was clear. We had 20 rounds in our magazines and for some reason this guy got out of the fox hole and started walking toward the tower. One of the drill sergeant's started yelling at him and when he turned around he pulled the trigger on his M16. He was on auto fire and the 20 rounds spit out in a second. No one was hit but drill sergeants and range personnel were scrambling around looking for cover. When the firing stopped they took off after him and it was a race like you have never seen before. I don't know how much abuse he got as they were out of sight when they caught him. He spent the rest of the time in basic carrying a rake.

Had a friend over one time in my basement. He wanted to go to the range. So I pull out several handguns from my safe, Drop the mags. Rack the slides. Lock them open. The proceed to allow him to dry fire them to decide what he wanted to shoot at the range.

he picks out 3 that fit his hand well.

I put the mags back in them. Pick up two to put them back in the safe. Turn my back. He picks one up, racks the slides and sends one into the wall of my basement. Bullet goes through the wall. Through the next wall. Takes out an AC return, into the carpet.

We took the AC grill. Put “Never forget” and the date. Left it on his doorstep.

my 7 year old called him Shooter from that point on.

I had a High Standard 22 auto pistol that had been to the gunsmith cause it would jam open and wouldn’t release. I was sitting in my 1 week old F350 4 door feed truck loading the clip. I slide the clip in, rack the slide and sit it on my lap and went to get out of my truck. Pistol slid off my lap and it fired when I grabbed it. All I heard was glass shattering and jumped out to see a hole in the outside of my door. I’m pissed that I just shot a hole through my brand new trucks door and start driving to the pasture gate when I noticed a black circle on my jeans about 2 inches below my manhood. I felt the backside of my leg and felt something wet. The moment I realized that I shot myself I felt the pain and panic set in. I started getting light headed and sweat started pouring off my forehead. While I was wondering if I hit the artery and was gonna bleed I managed to run off the road and hit a culvert. Blowed a tire, bent the frame and it took several times to explain to my insurance agent exactly how this happened. I was very lucky. Missed the artery by about 1 inch. By far my biggest dumb@#$ moment ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom