• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What a stroke of bad luck lately here on the ODT- What is with people today?

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
I had a string of bad luck dealing with people here lately on the ODT, mostly in the Classified section. And, all have happened in the past 2 months:

1- Sold a revolver to someone that broke it by attempting to clean it, by taking it completely apart. I did not know the extent of the damage, so in good faith I refunded the money. Upon further inspection, the buyer (ex-buyer) had no idea what he was doing or talking about. The revolver required obsolete parts to be purchased and a qualified Gunsmith to repair.

2- I committed to buying a gun from a newbie, only to go "ghost" on me and disappear. Crickets from the seller. Then he relists for same price, I PM him with a "What's Up", then he reconfirms selling to me. Crickets....and...nothing ever heard of again.

3- Another newbie inquires about a gun I have. I send more pics, he makes an offer via PM, I accept....and crickets......

4- I do a trade plus cash for a Smith 624 revolver from a "Smith collector". He tells me he has two 624s, so he doesn't need one of them. The one he sold me has a recalled serial number for a metallurgy issue. All of the official information on the forums say Smith said bad metal was used on the cylinder, and to send in for some type of credit- meant the 624 goes bye bye if I send in.

5- I commit to buying a Smith 310 only for the seller to lead me on for 5 days, and then I come to find out it is for sale on GB for more money.

All newbies (1-5!) Bad luck indeed. There is seems to be a lack of human decency.

I was thinking same but I'm sure the buyer blamed the gun for his own stupidity.

He sure did blame the gun. Claimed the barrel was so worn out and the gun was dirty beyond comprehension, it must have had 50,000 rounds through it! When I already committed in refunding and met, I brought another low round gun, identical to the one I sold him- the barrel rifling was a near match. He was expecting the rifling on a revolver to be identical to his Kimber 45 barrel rifling.

He sure did blame the gun. Claimed the barrel was so worn out and the gun was dirty beyond comprehension, it must have had 50,000 rounds through it! When I already committed in refunding and met, I brought another low round gun, identical to the one I sold him- the barrel rifling was a near match. He was expecting the rifling on a revolver to be identical to his Kimber 45 barrel rifling.
Some people shouldn't be in this hobby.

I had a deal set up the other day for a trade and dude calls me 20 minutes after our meet time saying he was an hour south of where we were supposed to doing another deal. Going back to only dealing with established members.

I am in the same boat. Will stick to established members. If a deal is too good to be true, then it is Craigslist/Armslist all over again. No integrity in people any more.

Back
Top Bottom