• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What ammo do you shoot in your Ruger Precision 308?

mikeyE I have not seen it yet but it sounds like they changed the tip? Any info?
supposedly they found via doppler radar (seriously) that the plastic tips on the bullets were melting mid flight and changing the ballistics of the rounds. So they developed the ELD tips to not melt at higher velocities. supposed to be more stable at longer distances.

they are making ELD and ELD-X (expanding for hunting applications). can't say I've seen them around much but they are supposed to be out and not much more than the standard plastic tipped bullets. I assume just a little different composition. But I'd like to try some just to see at some point.

from what I've read in the 6.5 the 140Amax is the go to ammo, for the 308, usually the 175gr FGMM. Not sure about the 243 as most of the OE ammo is usually hunting vs. target shooting.

mikeyE I have not seen it yet but it sounds like they changed the tip? Any info?

Not first hand just what I have read about it. It was developed for long range with a heat resistant polymer tip. I believe the 6.5 version has around 24 inches less drop at 1000 yards. I have been using the 168 grain TAP for years and it has always been consistent. Just my opinion but I think Hornady is constantly putting out a great product with a lot of research behind it.

Done looking...

The 175 gr FGMM is awesome in my riffle... 3 shot group... only could see 2 touching upon inspection with a doubled piece of 3/4 ply behind the target... 2 of the jackets where tied together one inside the other... Keeper... the 168 was okay but the 175 shot the best for me... I want to try the Black Hills 175 but I plan to order more FGMM in 175...

On another note I swapped my 4-16X50 PST for a 6-24X50 PST and man the extra magnification is awesome...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 98
Try the IMI Razorcore 175grn. Shot great in the rifles I've tried it in, including the RPR, and was less expensive than the FGMM, last I checked on sgammo.com.

I finally got a chance to test the Black Hills 175gr and the 175 gr FGMM...

FederalMatch 175- 2560

Black Hills 175 - 2520

Both Group very good but the Black Hills ES was about 11fps and the Federal Match was 24 over 6 shots.

The Black hills shot 1/2 low and 1/2 right compared with Federal match at 100 Yards.

RPR Gen 2 in 308

I"m just getting started with longer range but from talking with friends the 175gr Sierra Match King (SMK) seems to be the standard "go to" for longer range. Again from what I've read it seems to be more stable at longer distances vs. the 168gr that you tend to see a bit more often. 178gr Amax is similar and I"m curious to try Hornady's new ELD tipped bullets.

I bought a couple of boxes of Federal Gold Medal Match (FGMM) 175gr to start with and get a baseline, then I'll start working on some hand loads.
You will hard pressed to beat that load. My self built 308 shoots sub .50 moa consistently if I am doing my part.

Back
Top Bottom