• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What do ya'll think about this... COF

Good read... I was in a rifle class Saturday and they specifically focused on the idea of rapid target acquisition head shots. Specifically because of the rise of armor and explosive vests. I'll be practicing this more... and i think i'm going to specifically shift my mentality in IDPA matches to head-shots only to force some "Stressed" practice.

Wow, I expected this to be controversial but I guess it just makes sense. I was talking it over with my wife last night and we decided to add this to our training practice.

I changed my normal 224 drill to a 448 pelvis drill during my regular practice last week after reading the article. It rang true to me a bit I guess. I had the rounds to spare so why not drill the way I would likely react anyway.

It sounds like something different. I'm in!

Shooting the "A" zone on an IPSC target is pretty boring now.
During competition we always end up with some head shots required, because there's a "no shoot" hostage target in front of the bad guy. Practicing something different sounds like fun!

Of course I still feel bad about that Christmas shoot where I shot the Grinch, but grazed the Elf too.
I'm sure the elf would have lived, but I was really worried Santa took me off the "Nice" list. :becky:

I think I'll set the targets up so that anything that doesn't hit the head hits the hostage.
I'm sure that will make me work a little harder.....

I think any drill that has you shooting a smaller spot is a good thing.

Pelvic girdle shots aren't as effective as they were once thought to be. With that said, a hit to the pelvic region is better than a hit to the body armor, but not as effective as a hit to the head/neck/throat/ area.

I had a student years ago who was an orthopedic surgeon and specialized in the hips/legs. We had some lengthy discussions on pelvic girdle shots and damage. The pelvic girdle can take a lot of damage, the bones there are some of hardest in the human body. For instance, before more modern (hotter) cremation techniques came into use, humans were usually cremated twice. After the first time, they raked through the ashes, and pulled out the few bones that were too hard to burn to ash. The pelvic girdle was one of these. They would crush them by hand and cremate them a second time.

The surgeon talked about numerous patients he worked on that had a broken pelvis and didn't know it. They were in pain, but still able to walk well. So, shots that penetrate the pelvic bones may or may not have the desired effect.

In order to reliably drop someone with shots to the pelvic girdle, it needs to be broken in 2 separate and specific areas, shown by the black dots:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom