• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WHAT DO Y'All THINK?

I go somewhere in between.

But there were many times when I was a young guy that I rode in shorts, t shirt and sneakers.
(I spent a lot of time in Hawaii.)

I've been off the bike 3 times, one time was worse than two others.
I had just taken my helmet off when I got off base, in Hawaii.
It was Thanksgiving Day and I was invited to a real turkey dinner with the family who owned the bike shop in Kaneohe.
When the front tire popped in a banked corner on what is now highway H1, I slid up the bank over the edge and down onto a bunch of really big gravel. It was all I could do to keep my melon off the pavement.
A driver stopped, asked if I was a Marine and said he would take me back to base, but he wanted to see my ID card.
When I removed my trifold wallet from my back pocket (which was barely there) the middle part was completely gone and the two sides were connected with only the stitching on the top and bottom.
(Boy I wish I had a wallet in both back pockets!) Everything in the middle section was just a slide mark on the pavement.
I spent the rest of Thanksgiving day upside down on a table having the pavement scrubbed out of the heels of my hands, my forearms and one cheek of my butt, lol.
I ate standing up at the chow hall on base that night.

So now I always ride with a serious pair of boots, gloves and a real helmet.
When it's cool enough I wear all heavy leather pants and jackets that zips to the pants.
I even have what looks like jeans on the outside, but has some Kevlar within for when it's warm out, but I know I'm going to be pushing it.

Thanks for your story biker_bill biker_bill , serving and for living (your humor in your posts are very entertaining). Like I said, to each his own. I really do not care what other bikers wear, it was such a contrast between the two of us passing each other, just thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks for your story biker_bill biker_bill , serving and for living (your humor in your posts are very entertaining). Like I said, to each his own. I really do not care what other bikers wear, it was such a contrast between the two of us passing each other, just thought I would throw it out there.

You're welcome! :becky:

BTW - My sister and BIL have been riding even longer than me and they ride full armored...

I hate wearing helmets, ear and eye protection when shooting or mowing, seat belts, shoes and shirts in stores, but I am the wimp I am and just do!

Grew up on dirt bikes and learned just how bad dirt, grass, gravel, etc. can be with no protection. I sure as hell didn't want to learn about asphalt too.

Decent shoes, blue jeans, jacket, and helmet are minimum.

Back
Top Bottom