• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What happened during the last Assault Weapons Ban?

Prior to the AWB sunsetting, I had bought a preban AR lower for $500. I sold it after the ban for $120 to a guy in a AWB ban state (NY, IIRC).
during the ban, I had a Springfield SAR 3. I bought 5 G3 mags that looked like they'd been run over by a truck for $100 and was glad to have them. After the sunset in 94, I bought a case of 50 new in wrap G3 mags for $50.

I bought a Daewoo K1A1 for $500 prior to Clinton, and sold it during the ban for $1200.

One statistic that people overlook is that during the time that bayonet lugs were banned from "assault weapons" was that there were no murders with bayonets mounted on rifles. Oh wait, there weren't any before the ban either!

It didn't affect me personally. I watched guys buying high cap mags for three or four times what they were worth and like what was said before, it made a few options on a few guns illegal. I had a bunch of high cap mags already and could get all I wanted since I was an active LEO. I have plenty of high cap mags now for all of my pistols, I don't own or intend to own an AR or AK. I would buy all of the mags I could afford now since a ban may happen again if the wrong people get in office. I think the ammo will be a bigger problem than a weapons ban. They can put a huge tax on ammo so the average shooter could not afford to buy any. I think they could get a huge tax passed easier than a ban.

This is why I am a reloader/handloader. I know they could tax the crap out of componets also I just don't think that is very likely.

This is why I am a reloader/handloader. I know they could tax the crap out of componets also I just don't think that is very likely.

They could and will tax components as well as ammo I believe. Wasn't so long ago there was an effort to have a taggant in ammo and powder for reloading. Also there was an effort to have the powder formulated so that ammo would go out of date and become useless.

Yep-

That is part of their long-term strategy. Clinton damn near got primers banned. And also almost got "cop-killer" bullets banned. (Their definition of a "cop killer" bullet was any bullet with any kind of copper or metallic jacketing. Also hollow points.)

They came very close to getting ALL those things. Some people who are younger think people like me exaggerate. I do not. This was 100% real..... We read crazy stuff in the paper every day about how you could sneak a new "plastic gun through a metal detector at the airport, or how a hollow point bullet just sails right through body armor.

I was there. I was involved. And we damn near saw the banning of a whole lot more than just "assault" weapons and hi-cap mags. Those anti-gun guys were on a huge roll. They had a popular president. They had the media, and they had loads of "spin."

We are very lucky these days to have any of the things I mentioned. Hell. there was serious talk about banning all semi-autos as well. It was a frightening time!

They could and will tax components as well as ammo I believe. Wasn't so long ago there was an effort to have a taggant in ammo and powder for reloading. Also there was an effort to have the powder formulated so that ammo would go out of date and become useless.

Oh, yes....

I forgot about the powder thing. They love to try and make up stuff like this so that if they can't get the guns, they will have the ammo become crap or maybe be so expensive that no one can afford any.

-Be afraid people. The next 4 years could get ugly. The goons that came up with these ideas haven't given up. And they may have a president who is unconcerned about re-election and he absolutely believes in 100% of this anti-gun crap.

-This is no conspiracy theory stuff. Too many young people just didn't know these things were on the fast track-and damn near became reality. Most people don't follow politics all that much when they are toddlers.

If it weren't for the 1994 elections, I can guarantee this forum and many others would be dedicated to all the neat stuff you could do with your damn pellet rifles-cause that is all we would have left!

I believe the last effort at an Assault Weapon Ban is still around and it includes every semi auto firerm. Sad thing is there are many supposed gun rights advocates who have no problem with a semi auto firearm ban.

Back
Top Bottom