• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

what is the problem

Factual evidence proving .40, 9mm, and .45 being superior man killers will never exist given the medium for the test is pretty rare. Unless we start opening up every gunsot victim and analyzing the situation and ballistics involved, we will never know for sure. The only thing certain is when you shoot someobody in the heart, they die.

The ammo boxes all say that they're dangerous, isn't that enough?

;)

I carry the wimpy 9mm in a little pistol with a limited 10 round capacity- unless I want a 30+ round mag sticking out from under my jacket.

9mm and .40 are both high pressure rounds. 9mm has been around a heck of a lot longer and most of the bugs have been worked out. Recoil is directly related to: weight of the bullet, velocity of the bullet and weight of the firearm sending it down range.

I like to think of the .40 S&W as a 9mm on steroids but then I'm bored with nothing to do at 12:54 am. A lot of cops carry and qualify with a glock 22. I have a couple of their (LEO) hand-me-down guns and money well spent in my opinion.

I have yet to meet someone who is willing to stand in front of a 22 let alone a 9mm. why stop at a 45, real men carry 12 gauge slugs daily.....:rolleyes:

the terminal ballistics between 40 and 9 are negligible.

Bingo!

Compare the energy of a 9mm round to a 40, to a 45, or even a 10mm. Now go look up the energy of a 5.56 or 7.62. Any pistol caliber is small beans compared to a rifle caliber, and people still live after getting shot by a rifle. There was a thread posted last night showing a video of a cop shooting a guy like 13 times with a 40 cal and he still had enough life in him to move around on the ground for a bit before dying. Some people are an instant kill with a 9mm, some live after a magazine of 40 cal. It's splitting hairs when you compare centerfire pistol calibers. So in the reality of things, 40 and 45 have no power advantage over the 9mm. And with the 9mm you get more rounds in the magazine. And the diameter difference between 45 and 9mm wont make a difference in reality. 9mm has better penetration though.

Last edited:
I spent a couple of hours shooting my Glocks the other day. I laid out a G21, G22, G23 and G17 and honest to God, the only way I could tell what I was shooting without looking was that the G21 has a thicker grip and the G23 is my only compact so it's a little smaller. Recoil on the 3 full size Glocks was a non-issue at any rate of fire. Muzzle flip on all 4 is barely anything with a good firm grip and I can't tell a 9mm from a .40 or .45 when shooting with ears in. I have shot a baby glock or two in the past and I suspect that's where the recoil complaints come from? I remember a G27 having quite a bit of snap to it and didn't like the way it handled at all. G23 is small enough for me. I wouldn't have anything smaller...cept my little summer carry J frame snubbie.

I've owned all three. I'm 100x more accurate and shoot tighter groups with my .45 1911 than I ever did with any of my other guns in 9mm or .40 so I go with .45
My next pistol will probably 9mm though just so I can broaden the group of firearms I own :) I'll probably buy another .40 but that's the last thing on my list.

Back
Top Bottom