• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

what is the problem

I have tried to consolidate the caliber of handguns I shoot. .38, .357, .45 are the ones most shot. Just hate to add another caliber. BTW I have a couple of .41mag Smiths, but they tend to stay in the safe.

That's a shame. The .41 and the N frame were meant for one another.

I'd never fired a .40 S&W until a few years ago. I simply had no interest in one.

After firing a few of them, I found I liked the round. I ain't throwing out any kinda stats, I just enjoy shooting a 9mm size pistol with a little umph to it. Nothin' more than that.

I'm still old school and believe there's the .45 ACP and then you have all the rest. I have nary a thing against the .40 S&W though.

It is all about the hands. If you have weak small girly feminine hands then a 9mm is for you, if have strong young manly hands a .40 is fine and if you have old bold (slightly arthritic) hands then pick the .45 every time.

Seriously, with the great selection of performance ammo we have all will serve you if you can shoot it well. Don't carry a round you can't shoot well in training for when necessary you will shoot it worse typically.

For FMJ the .45 is still king at punching big holes and has a proven track record of effectiveness in the field.

Basically this. My joints are fine with a 9, and the 45 has a smoother recoil that doesn't hurt my bones. When I shoot 40, I am OK to start, then develop a flinch due to the pain in my wrists. Then, practice ammo for my 9 is about 22 cents a round. 40 is about 35 cents. 45 is a bit more. I'm not a spray and pray kind of guy. Keep it controlled and focused. Lock yourself in with your weapon.

with 40 it is more expensive so less practice(due to bullet cost) and more expensive to stockpile extra 40 sd ammo.

with 9mm it can be found at anywhere you can buy ammo and practice more. the cost of the sd ammo is less so you have more ammo to use in case you need it if something happens

i have shot 40 and i enjoy it but the 9mm is more cost effective and lets me practice more

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom