• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

what is the problem

The 40 and 45 both have more knockdown power than the 9mm. Its simple physics and ballistics, the larger the bullet traveling at the same velocity does the most wound damage. If you are going to talk about "hot" loads then all bets are off but all things considered equal the larger bullet does the most damage. Velocity and bullet size are the key here. A 225 grain bullet traveling at 1000 fps(feet per second) does more damage than a 158 grain bullet traveling at 1250 fps. The slower bullet here does more damage and has a greater wound channel because it is a bigger bullet.

The 40 and 45 both have more knockdown power than the 9mm. Its simple physics and ballistics, the larger the bullet traveling at the same velocity does the most wound damage. If you are going to talk about "hot" loads then all bets are off but all things considered equal the larger bullet does the most damage. Velocity and bullet size are the key here. A 225 grain bullet traveling at 1000 fps(feet per second) does more damage than a 158 grain bullet traveling at 1250 fps. The slower bullet here does more damage and has a greater wound channel because it is a bigger bullet.

Knock down power is a myth.

Bingo!

Compare the energy of a 9mm round to a 40, to a 45, or even a 10mm. Now go look up the energy of a 5.56 or 7.62. Any pistol caliber is small beans compared to a rifle caliber, and people still live after getting shot by a rifle. There was a thread posted last night showing a video of a cop shooting a guy like 13 times with a 40 cal and he still had enough life in him to move around on the ground for a bit before dying. Some people are an instant kill with a 9mm, some live after a magazine of 40 cal. It's splitting hairs when you compare centerfire pistol calibers. So in the reality of things, 40 and 45 have no power advantage over the 9mm. And with the 9mm you get more rounds in the magazine. And the diameter difference between 45 and 9mm wont make a difference in reality. 9mm has better penetration though.
If the guy was on meth or crack then I'm sure he was still moving around. Happens all the time.

Last edited:
One must remember that when the .40cal S&W round was developed (and its 10mm cousin) the FBI was looking for a duty pistol that provided the "knockdown power" of the .45cal with the round capacity of the 9mm. It was at the same time when the CHP (California Highway Patrol) was also looking to make changes with its standard issued duty weapon. At that time, the FBI selected the 10mm. The CHP selected the .40cal S&W, citing the fact that it had similar "knockdown qualities" of the .45cal while maintaining the round capacity and controllability of the 9mm.

As a direct result of the North Hollywood Bank of America robbery and subsequent shootout that followed, the LAPD conducted a review of its standard issue equipment which included the 9mm Beretta 92fs and the Ithaca model 37 12ga pump / Remington 870 12ga pump shotguns. Comments that came directly from the officers involved as they engaged two suspects heavily armed with AK47 fully auto-matic assault rifles and completely covered in Kevlar included that nothing the LAPD line officer had was able to provide the "knockdown power" to stop them. They watched as shot after shot of 9mm and .00 buck went into the 10 ring and bounced off of the suspects barely causing them to flinch. All commented that at a minimum, a .45cal pistol round would have been more effective as would rifled slugs in the shotgun. Neither of those were options were available and officers in the LAPD were prohibited by policy to use them. Granted, the LAPD North Hollywood Bank of America robbery was unique, when considering the method(s) and the equipment of the suspects and that not everyone we might engage will be wearing Kevlar from head to toe. I also know that the officer's acquisition of several AR-15's from a local neighborhood gun store was what ultimately turned the tide in the officer's favor long before the arrival of SWAT officers. Still, the comments simply could not be ignored. BTW, similar comments have been made about the 9mm and its ineffectiveness as officers have engaged suspects high on PCP. When the results of the LAPD review were completed, policy was amended to allow officers who choose to qualify and carry pistols in .40cal S&W and .45cal to do so. Policy also was changed to include rifled slugs as part of the issued shotgun ammunition. The LAPD has also introduced AR-15's into many of the marked patrol units making them more readily available.

In the end, whether it is mythical or not, there is much to be said about "Knockdown Power" or officers would not be choosing the .40cal S&W and the .45cal over the 9mm if they had the choice.

Hilarious. Do you think police departments actually choose the "best" gun? Their choice is dictated probably 95% of the time by accountants and the vendor that sells the cheapest in terms of guns and ammo. They probably select .40 as their off duty gun as they get free practice ammo.

Bottom line is many folks don't like .40 and nothing is going to change that. I have a couple only because I like options in case of another ammo shortage but it will never be my caliber of choice - I carry a .45 and plink with a 9mm...

I don't care which caliber is marginally better or not. My wife carry's a 9mm so I carry a 9mm, I prefer to have several similar guns of same caliber. Ammo consolidation and similar weapons seems to make more sense than all these different platforms.

Accuracy is more important than the difference in bullet size from 9mm too .45. My Hk USP .45 and my Beretta 92fs 9mm cover those bases well. I see no need for a .40. Besides if I wanted something that used .40 brass I would get a .357 sig.

Back
Top Bottom