• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What should I get?

Benchmade Griptilian, for sure. Mini-Griptilian is also an option if you prefer the smaller size (I don't).

An above poster said he hates the partial serrations....I'm in the minority that disagrees. If I have to cut something and I haven't kept my knife super sharp, it requires much less force. I've always preferred the half-serrated knives; the power of habit I guess. Of course, serrated and non-serrated options are available, so you can get what you like.

I'm on two Griptilians (one stainless and one w/a black blade), and I'm planning on getting one with an OD green handle eventually. Best knife for general use/carry, but it won't be the absolute end of the world if you lose it (but it would still suck!). The price is just right for what you said you're looking for.

Probably the best thing about the Griptilian is the AXIS lock - it's AWESOME. I can't appreciate other folders after using this setup.

I think I got my last one off BladeHQ since they're an "authorized dealer". I bought the first one off Amazon because it was stupid cheap. Can't beat Benchmade quality for the price. I prefer them to my Spyderco, but that's just my $0.02.
I was also looking at the spyderco resiliant.

Benchmade Grip
Benchmade Barrage
Benchmade Adamas
Spyderco Para-Military 2
Spyderco Manix 2
Spyderco Manix 2 XL
ZT 0350
ZT 0566
ZT 0700

The list goes on and on. One of the Best sub $150 knifes in the bunch is IMO the Para-Military 2.

i'd go with the spyderco manix 2 or para military. Both are awesome knives the para is a little bit smaller but is probably the perfect pocket knife size as the manix is a little large but feels better for more hard use task. i personally just bought a manix 2 this week because i wanted something a little more heavy duty and dont mind the size and i absolutely love it and it was too pricey at 70 shipped.

I would lean toward
Kershaw Knockout:
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1870-...d=1424809197&sr=8-2&keywords=Kershaw+knockout

Kershaw Piston:
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1860-...d=1424809197&sr=8-4&keywords=Kershaw+knockout

Anything Zero Tolerance that is in your price range.

*I agree with the votes on the Griptilian but feel there are better values out there... Have owned three grips and still have one but it is not a high bang-for-the-buck in MY opinion.

Spyderco is excellent in every respect if you like the style and I contend that the Spyderco Tenacious is one of the best deals in the knife world.

Plenty more to choose from it don't want to muddy the waters. I am personally a fan of flippers, followed by thumb holes, with thumb studs being WAY down the list. So, while the S30V version of the Kershaw Blur is great, it is just not in my rotation. The Griptillian offers you the choice of stud or hole and is a great knife and was a huge value when they were $50...
Just my .02

Last edited:
I'm with Biker, love the Kershaw Leek.

I have the one with the composite blade and it seems to keep an edge for a really long time before needing to be sharpened.

www.kershaw_knives.net_images_Kershaw_Leek_1660_Composite_1660CB_350x350.gif

I saw a Griptillian up with custom scales in the classified section. They wanted a bit more though; I think like $150. I got mine at REI but over paid. It was an impulse purchase. Check out Going Gear in Smyrna or buy on line. I've also seen some decent prices at gun shows lately. You will definitely not be disappointed. The locking mechanism is tits

Back
Top Bottom