• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What should i know before buying first diesel truck? Should i even buy one?

hoochfisher

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
21   1
Reaction score
In the market for a new to me truck. In my price range of around $15k, most 1500 series trucks seem to already have an average of 180k on the odometer when average lifespan of the 1500 series with V8s is 250-300k miles. which sucks as I'm looking for one to drive for quite a while.

However, I've seen a number of 2500 diesels with the same mileage on them for the same price. I know a diesel will last longer and is supposed to have better fuel mileage even though diesel fuel is stupid expensive right now.

I don't know anything thing else about diesel motors. I'm fairly mechanical and can take care of most problems a gas motor would have short of rebuilding one. So I think I could take care of any issues with a diesel with the help of a little research and a Haynes manual.

What should I know before considering buying one? What should I look for before buying if I do go with a diesel?

A thank you in advance for any help or insight you can give.

The first question to ask is do you really need a truck with an engine like that? Like you said. Diesel is stupid expensive. Typically engines like that are an option on trucks larger than 1/2 ton. So how much do you need to carry or tow to require a 3/4 ton truck or larger?

Unless you're towing something all the time or maybe towing something really heavy once every month or so, you don't want tye 2500. Insurance is more, fuel is $1.50+/- more per gallon and gpm will probably be less and as mentioned, it's more than double for service. Gas engines are getting almost the same over all miles per lifetime as diesel engines.
It's your money but there's no way I'd buy a diesel unless I needed a 2500 or 3500 for towing.

well
my 05 duramax went 435k with very little maintenance, sold it to a buddy and its near 500k now. he has had to do a lot to it. but when i sold it i was getting 18 to 20 mpg and still had tons of power...

well
my 05 duramax went 435k with very little maintenance, sold it to a buddy and its near 500k now. he has had to do a lot to it. but when i sold it i was getting 18 to 20 mpg and still had tons of power...
05 yeah probably so. Then the guberment steps in and f's it all up. Now anything that's newer that has less than 400k miles will have egr, aftertreatment, and has to run ULS diesel. They don't do so good like they did back then. Unless your looking at a old 7.3 PS that the engine still might run ok the rest of the truck is falling apart

Back
Top Bottom