• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What should i know before buying first diesel truck? Should i even buy one?

Depends on what you need. Toyota probably makes the best small truck. Ram with a Cummins is probably the longest lasting truck engine. The 5.9 Cummins before 2007 won't have to have that blue def stuff and be better fuel mileage. Thing is, how long are we going to be able to get fossil fuel to run them? Or be able to afford it? The 5.9 Cummins can at least run on cooking oil. As long as you can get parts the Toyota or a 3/4 ton truck will run indefinitely. If you drive a lot then diesel could be a good solution. Diesel usually gets about 50% better fuel economy and the service intervals are farther apart. Diesel repairs are more expensive. Most diesels also need to be plugged in to keep motor warm in cold weather for them to start well in the morning. My Cummins has never had that problem. However to date the coldest weather has only been 9 degrees since I bought it. Also if you're out on the road diesel can be harder to find than gas

No gas truck pulls like a diesel. Thats what theyre made for. If your going to pull more than 5k often or over 10k occasionally, diesel is the only way to go. If youre not pulling, stick with a gas burner. My .02

My 2016 gasoline F150 has more hp, more torque, and a higher towing capacity than my old 2003 6.0 Powerstroke, my 2001 7.3 Powerstroke, and pretty much any diesel you are going to buy for 15k or less.

After owning 6 diesels over 20 years, I replaced my 2011 6.7 Powerstroke with a gasoline F150.

5k is child’s play for a modern half ton.

Pulling 10k or less, diesels don’t make sense.

I will be posting my 2004 Sprinter 2500 van with high roof soon it gets 20 mpg no matter how much you load it down.
I think it has 300 +k on it. Needs some TLC and paint. Does not have hitch. I shut down my hvac business and don't want to pay Ins. I did all mechanical work on my self, I belief 2008 was the last year before they started using the blue Def
additive. If you go diesel i would look for one not requiring Blue Def. It had 253k on it when i bought it. Good Luck

No gas truck pulls like a diesel. Thats what theyre made for. If your going to pull more than 5k often or over 10k occasionally, diesel is the only way to go. If youre not pulling, stick with a gas burner. My .02
I have a gas truck that will out pull most stock diesel 2500 or 3500.. but it only get 7-9 mpg.. it is stock which is why I said stock diesels..

Back
Top Bottom