• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's going on the smoker/grill today?

DEAL !!!!!

1674778609913-png.18524

I said I would never own a pellet grill, something about having to plug a grill up is sacrilege to me. Anyway, a buddy sells Traeger out of his store and someone returned one because they didn't like it. Pro series 22. I got it for 200 bucks, still had its first round of pellets in it.

I did some thick cut pork chops on it to try it out for the first time. It's definitely different, I cranked it all the way up but didn't get any char or decent grill marks, I guess thats hard to do when you have a baffle between the heat and the meat. They were edible, but nothing like what comes off my bge or even my weber. I do like the convenience of it, set temp, turn on, walk away....just seems to me like a step above a gas grill. I'd never pay full price for one.

Thanks for the heads up on pellets, just ordered some.

It appears to me that calling a Traeger a grill is just not correct....they are smokers...probably good, BUT grilling...no, I don't think so....now, here will come all the ways to grill on one...

I have a Weber Smokefire, a Weber kettle, and a Weber gas. They are all different. The Smokefire can go from 200-500 degrees. I grill on it and smoke on it. One of the things it does best is cook chicken. I set it at 350 and put some lemon pepper chicken on it and it comes out perfect. No flare ups. Just evenly cooked chicken with great smoke flavor. I'm not going to debate anyone on whether they should get one or not. Everyone has their preferences.

I have an egg and a traeger. I have owned the egg about 6 years, and the traeger about 2 years. The traeger is no where near the smoker the egg is. The traeger is great for high heat whole chicken cooks. The simplicity of the traeger is a selling point. It took me well over a year to get comfortable with the egg and I still mess up sometimes. The smoke tubes help with the traeger some but not near enough to get more smoke. I am about to buy a camp chef woodwind pro. I hope it is the best of both worlds.

https://www.campchef.com/woodwind-p...ellet-Grills-and-Smokers-Woodwind-Pro-36.html

Back
Top Bottom