• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where can I find Hodgdon Superformance loading data for .243 Winchester?

Ironman

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
318   0
Reaction score
Where can I find Hodgdon Superformance powder loading data for .243 Winchester for a 95 grain bullet? The 8th Edition Hornady manual lists nothing. The Loaddata.com website only lists data for 70 and 75 grain bullets. I am currently using 95 grain Hornady SST bullets and can't find any data for the Superformance powder.

Yes, I have tried the Hodgdon website and they also show nothing. Hornady sells factory loaded ammo in Superformance .243 Winchester using 95 grain SST with velocities around 3200 fps. With all of the data manuals that I own and data websites that I am familiar with, nothing shows a load over 3000 fps... most are around 2800-2900 fps.

Take the Hornady claims with a grain of salt. They are masters at marketing. I would have to see this stuff shot through a crony at those muzzle velocities from several rifles to believe it.

An example of their marketing would be the claims they made about their brass when they first started selling it as a component. They said it would be consistent from lot number to lot number. That's a pretty big deal when you are addressing precision long range shooting. Then you discover the rest of the story. The brass has a weight variation of about eight grains WITHIN the same lot. With that much variation it's not to hard to get into the same weight range in the next lot manufactured. So, their claim is true, but what they imply is not. Just for reference, in a mid sized cartridge it is generally accepted that the weight spread of the brass needs to be two grains or less for it to not negatively effect accuracy.

Typically Norma, Lapua, Nosler Custom and even Remington achieve the two grain spread in their lots. Remington isn't as consistent as the other three, but it's very close.

Also, take another look at Loaddata.com. There are several loads that get very close to 3200fps with 95 grain bullets. I know you already know but, always start with 10% less powder and work you way up.

Last edited:
Just a note, this is a ball powder. I have had success with using magnum primers in my 308, 243 and 7m-08 loads when using the ball powders. There are some that don't use them, and that is fine, but apparently I'm not the only one because several handloading websites also recommend using them as well as bullet manufacturers reloading manuals. I have a really good article by Chuck Hawks on this subject http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm . Just what ever you do start low, I always start at 15% lower than what the book calls for. I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
superformance from hornady and superformance canister from hodgdon are 2 different powders. funny how there is factory .308 superformance yet no load data for it in 308.

the absence of load data is probably because there isnt a decent load or its dangerous. if you experiment by pulling a factory round and reducing (which is a bad idea) the best that can happen is you find a decent load, the worst...boom. good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom