• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where did you take Basic training or Boot Camp?

How was it, when you went in? I'll start by saying it wasn't fun by any means. In my case it was Ft Jackson in Nov-Jan 57-58 and it was nineteen degrees. We had 0 week and then the eight weeks training. We spent eight weeks in Tent City. They hadn't finished renovating the wooden barracks, so we got to live in a part wood bottom and frame top with a tent thrown over it. A screen door at each end. Eight men were doubled bunked in each one. It had concrete floors and one pot bellied stove fueled by coal.
The latrines were wide open. No stalls and the flush was boiling water. The showers were one big room with a bunch of spigotsView attachment 1550542 overhead.
This is a picture of some of the guys that just got issued their uniforms and they were assigning us to our sleeping quarters. No haircuts yet.
We did not have DIs. They were called Cadre. Every one of them were Combat vets from WW2 and Korea. I still have the book from Basic.
After I finished there, I was sent to Ft Dix NJ for Infantry training.

NRTC Orlando Nov. 82. Had an AB1 as CC that hated anyone with a guaranteed "A" school leaving boot camp. I was guaranteed AC school and he rode my ass like sea biscuit. Had to do a "Motivational Tour" which consisted of treading water every night for a week with just boots, drawers and holding an 03 Springfield over my head. Spent Christmas on KP wearing a rubber apron, rubber gloves and dumping mess trays in a trashcan while the goon next to me ate anything left on the plates.

Jan 83-May 83 Air Traffic Controller "A" school NATTC Millington, TN.
May 83- Nov 85 NAS Cubi Pt. Philippines ATC Air Operations
Nov 85-Jan 86 Radar Air Traffic Control "C" school NATTC Millington, TN.
Jan 86- Nov 87 NAS Kingsville, TX. ATC Air Operations
Nov 87- Present Civil Atlantic Fleet
I was an instructor at the ATC school in Millington Nov 77-Sept 79. Loved the job, hated the location.

I didn't realize how many on this site are veterans. I would like to thank you for your service. Regardless of your job in the military, they are all important in the scheme of things. The wheel doesn't turn unless the spokes support it.
Out of all of my time in the Army, 21yrs, I am most proud of the day my jump wings were pinned on my chest. It was the most difficult objectives to achieve. To top it off Gen Westmoreland pinned on my wings after our last jump right on the DZ.
God Bless America and those who are serving and who have served. RIP to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.
Geronimo.jpg

My father went through Ft. Dix 1964
My older brother went through San Diego 1990
I went through Great Mistakes (Great Lakes) 1996
My younger brother went through Ft. Benning 2002

I got to Great Lakes on 01 April 1996 late at night. It was cold and miserable and I had to hand out scivvies and PT gear all night in receiving area. Went to bed about 0300 and woke at 0400. A small trashcan flying through the air down the berthing area was my alarm clock. I encountered the meanest WOMAN I had ever seen - Petty Officer Cousins. A Jamaican woman from Brooklyn NYC. The devil sent her to me.

Boot was ok and I stayed a "ghost" as long as I could. I knew going in that N.A.V.Y. stood for Never Again Volunteer Yourself, so I stayed quiet. I didn't want AROC or RPOC. I did get selected for Galley duty when "service week" came. I didn't mind due to extra food and meeting folks and hanging out. I had my "A School" going in so I was just biding my time. Seemed like we marched and PTed more than anything. Stood watch all the time as well. 98% of the classroom didn't apply to me due to me being a Seabee. It was all fleeter crap they were teaching so I just did what I had to do and pass. Wasn't bad, just tedious and monotony. Saw guys crying, crapping their pants, getting slapped around, PTing till collapse, etc. It was interesting. DIVISION 236!

Back
Top Bottom